1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Success: Registered TPMS ID For New Tire/Rim

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tovli, Sep 12, 2023.

1. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    After getting a flat in my new 2023 Prius Prime XSE 19" special Prius tire, I successfully plugged that tire to keep me on the road.

Then I ordered a totally new 195/50R19 Toyo Extensa A/S II from TireRack, and a rim, TPMS valve, and ornament from my local toyota dealer (at a surprising discount for some reason) so that I can use the plugged tire/rim as a full-size, ready to go spare for hurricane escape trips from south Florida.

The tire came within a few days. The rim/TPMS valve/ornament took about two weeks before the dealer parts department notified me all was in.

I scheduled a service visit to the dealer to get the new tire mounted on the new rim and balanced. When I arrived I was told "We're not going to charge you for mounting and balance, only the $200 charge for registering the tire pressure monitor."

I recovered my composure quickly and asked how much is the mount and balance charge, if I register the TPMS myself? The adviser said that would only be $30, but added "only the dealer can register the TPMS IDs".

I told him leave it to me - "the procedure for me to do it is on page 522 of the 680 page manual".

They mounted.balanced the new tire/rim and put it on the car. I had them put the plugged tire/rim in the cargo area, and happily left with my new full-size hurricane escape spare.

Today, I followed the menus and procedure to register the ID and the new tire showed up. I see I need to let a little air out of it.

NewTPMS_Registered.jpg

mountaineer and otatrant like this.
  2. otatrant

otatrant Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Using your experience as a guide I installed a new set of wheels and tires with Toyota OEM TPMS valve stems. Paired whole new set very easily just like manual explains. Thanks.

tovli likes this.