1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sucking the eyes out of your head through a tube.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Sep 18, 2013.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay, that thread title is a bit of an exaggeration. What they're actually going to do, as near as I can gather, is cut into my eyes, use ultrasound to liquify the lenses of my eyes, suck the liquified lenses out through a vacuum tube, and then stick artificial lenses in.

IOW, cataract surgery.

Right eye in October 14, left eye on October 28.

In addition to copays and deductibles, which generally means nearly the entire cost of the operation, I have to pay out of pocket the $700 per eye difference between the cost of spherical lenses and the cost of toric lenses. I need toric lenses because I have so much astigmatism, but the insurance companies won't pay for them because they are not strictly needed to treat the cataracts. Well, I can afford it, and it will be worth it if I am able to drive and hike without glasses. The eye surgeon says there's a 90% chance I won't need glasses for distance. I'll still need glasses for reading and middle distance. But I need that anyway, since I'm so nearsighted that my unaided focal distance is about 3 inches, which is great for extracting splinters and reading very small type, but useless for normal reading.

After the surgery I'll be farsighted, and my glasses will be the opposite, pulling the focal point in rather than pushing it out.

It's a creepy prospect, but actually a simple and safe procedure, and said to be painless. I'll be sedated but conscious. I'd rather be knocked out completely,

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Best of luck and don't blink during the procedure :)

3. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck!

It'll be great to be rid of the cataracts.

I don't get the toric lens issue, though. If your natural lenses are being removed, doesn't that take away the astigmatism problem? Or am I missing something?

4. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I had prk surgery to correct my horrible astigmatism in both eyes 4 days after it was approved by the FDA, or whoever approves that stuff. I was 18 or 19 at the time. Something like 18 years later and I'm still fine, and prk surgery is a thing of the past.

Good luck with the surgery though I am sure you will do just fine. I too had my eyes numbed though I was fully awake, I was not even 'numbed' with some narcotics and it really wasn't all that bad.

JMD likes this.
  5. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a squint operation when I was four. Because I was under five, I had a general anaesthetic. If I'd been older, it would have been a local. They popped my left eye out, and left it hanging while they slipped a plastic sleeve over one of the muscles. Had I been older, I'd have been able to look myself in the eye.

JMD likes this.
  6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do they clean up "floaters" while they are at it?

8. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I assume you're not referring to the sort of floaters I'm thinking of. I wouldn't want them in my eyes.

9. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  10. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think you must be brave to partake in that procedure, Betty White brave.

image.jpg

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hkmb: The astigmatism is not caused by an irregularity in the lens of the eye. I think it might be the cornea. Not sure, but anyway, no, removing the lens does not remove the astigmatism. Toric contact lenses actually orient themselves correctly on the eye after you put them in, so it is the front surface of the eye that has the irregularity.

Paradox: For some reason I was never a candidate for corrective eye surgery (PRK or LASIK). Possibly because I have too much astigmatism.

Chuck: I believe that floaters are caused by irregularities in the clear stuff inside the eye. Unrelated to the lens. I don't know if they can clear them up. But since they are transient, I'm not sure there would be any point in it. They seem to show up, float around (thus their name) and then go away. In any case, I am not bothered by them. I have to concentrate hard on a white background to even be aware of them.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. Long about mid-November I should know whether all went well or not, unless something horrible shows up first, but it's a very simple and low-risk procedure. Apparently I'm already at risk of detached retina because of the degree of my nearsightedness, and because I sometimes get points of light, and cataract surgery will increase it even more. But even so, the risk is very small. Probably one in several hundred. I'm more likely to fall off a mountain while hiking. I've come close to that a few times.

Maybe I'll end up like the guy in Raven's End by Ben Gadd.

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It's creepy, but like I said, it's pretty safe, and said to be nearly painless. And with the alternative being eventual blindness, it's really not a difficult decision.

14. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dad had both eyes done a few years ago at age 79(?).
    No problems at all.

15. massparanoia

massparanoia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    They are collegen particles in the vitreous humor "goo" of your eye. Not sure of any way that they can get rid of them other than a vitrectomy, and you don't want that.

16. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually there are two eye doctors (one in NoVA and one in FL) that zap the floaters with lasers. I have some pretty bad floaters. My eye doctor said one side effect of vitreous replacement is cataracts, which leads to the idea doing that at the same time as cataract surgery might make sense. I don't know if it is done. But they would only do it if you had pretty bad case of floaters.

Daniel- Hope it goes well ..sounds like my eyes are like yours...sometimes seeing close objects very well is nice.

17. VTAERO

VTAERO Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a traumatic cataract surgery at age 19 after putting a screw through my eye. It was painless for the surgery and recovery. However the screw was not. My surgery was now 16 years ago and I can see at distance without trouble or glasses however I'm a little sensitive to light now so I always wear Transitions auto tint glasses.

When I went for the surgery I was pretty much totally blind at the time in that one eye and it was awesome just to see again. Over a few months my eye got better and better and healed well. That's even after they had to sew up the hole on my cornea from the screw.

Good luck to you and I look forward to your report of new found vision. :)

Nexus 7 ? 4

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good luck with the surgery!
    (I'd rather be sedated too...)

19. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A (63yo) coworker had her left eye done two weeks ago (cataract surgery with astigmatism) and she came back to work four days later! Now she can't wait to get the right eye taken care of!

Best of luck with the procedure(s)...

20. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I'm very astigmatic myself, but I'd always assumed that the problem was the lens.

I have toric contact lenses: I've just moved over to soft ones after 23 years of hard ones, and it's a difficult adjustment.

Good luck with all of this.