1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden Appearance of 5 Warning Lights on Dashboard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by newformisc, Aug 31, 2018.

1. newformisc

newformisc New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I am quite surprised and confused at the sudden appearance of several warning lights on my dashboard, and I'm hoping someone might be able to offer clues as to what issue(s) my car may be having. I don't drive heavily or in an unusual way so I can't imagine the problems are unusual. I drove my car without any issues less than a day ago.

Additional information: As you can see from the image I just recently passed 100,000 miles and part of me wonders if perhaps these lights are supposed to light up by default after 100k miles in order to signal time for a general check-up and maintenance. This seems a more logical explanation for all of the warnings coming on at once.

Can someone help me out with identifying what all of the various warning mean, and perhaps if they are related to recently passing 100k miles? I imagine a likely response will be to take it to some kind of mechanic and have a reading done, but I'm barely scraping by with bills and don't have money to burn on seeing a mechanic (much less buying a scanner/reader) so I figured that inquiring on this website was a better first option. I'm really worried and scrambling to figure this out as my job depends on having a car.

Thank you in advance for any replies. I will check back throughout the day and respond when I'm able.

composite.jpg

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

that is the triangle of death. you will ned to take it to someone with a prius aware scanner to read the trouble codes.

there is no way of knowing what is wrong without them, but a 13 year old prius with 100k is a likely candidate for a new hybrid battery.

check the oil level.

could be a bad inverter pump. check for turbulence in the reservoir.

check the air filter.

it's always a good idea to start troubleshooting with the 12 volt battery health.

at 100k, your car is due for a major (read: expensive) service.

all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Aug 31, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Those lights do not come on "by default". Check your 12v auxiliary battery, it could be low, if it is at least several years old and you park it ungaraged. The "maintenance required" is a reminder to change your oil. The other lights indicate faults that a code scanner will tell what trouble codes are set. You will need a code reader with Toyota Techstream software in the reader to pull those codes specific to the Prius. Check around with various shops to see if they can pull them from the Prius .

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

What year is your Prius?

I assume it is over 10 years old so if the hybrid battery has not been replaced it may be about time. Unfortunately that is expensive to properly fix. There are less expensive band-aid solutions that may (or may not) get you by while you save up money for a proper fix.

Do you have an android phone?
    If so, for an under $15 you can get a adapter that can be used with a $6 app to read and clear codes as well as see Hybrid Battery data.

Im busy with family things this weekend but I'd be happy to help if you call me during the week during business hours.

Where are you located?

#4 ericbecky, Sep 1, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2018