1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden drop in life-of-vehicle mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Fuel Economy' started by mlbex100, Mar 25, 2018.

1. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I purchased a Gen4 touring model about a year ago. It has 7000 miles on it.

My aggregate mileage, the number that shows up when you see your total miles on the display, until three days ago was about 53.5. Now, in a single 12-mile trip with normal mileage, it has dropped to 49.5.

Clearly, the way it calculates has changed, suddenly, for no apparent reason. Does anyone have an idea what is going on here?

Another observation: Although the displayed mileage tends to run around 53, the observed mileage runs around 50, so it seems like the meter has suddenly become more honest. But it is still a mystery.

I drive the same route to work every working day. It is about a mile of surface roads, followed by 10 miles of freeway, and ending with another mile of surface roads. When I arrive at work, I can use EV mode for about half a mile, which always makes my numbers better.

I drive 65 to 67 on the freeway, and around 35 on the surface roads. I think I'm keeping fairly steady speeds. Shouldn't I be doing better? (topping the tires up to 40 lbs doesn't change much).

Thanks

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is this your first prius?

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure what you mean by displayed vs observed mileage.

But have you changed from Eco to Pwr mode?
    Maybe running air conditioning and you weren't using it before?
    What about gas brands?
    Also, summer vs winter gas blends can make a difference but I'd expect better mileage with summer blend.
    Have you added any electrical accessories that could increase the load on the engine?

RCO likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I can't understand how "lifetime" mpg would suddenly drop, sounds like a bug, or some error in observation. The bigger the sample, the harder it should be to budge it.

FWIW, the car is seriously BS'ing the mpg: I never pay it any mind, or put any stock in retaining it's readings. You know one disconnect of a 12 volt battery lead, and it all goes up in smoke? An independent spreadsheet or even hand recorded log is better.

KilgoreTrout likes this.
  5. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, it's my third. Gen2, Gen3, and now Gen4.

bisco likes this.
  6. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Mendel: Bingo. That's the weird part. It should be really hard to budge that aggregate mileage figure, almost impossible to make it move 3 mpg in a single 12-mile trip. Something squirrely is going on.

I see you drive a 2010. The 2017s have a number that reports the total mileage over the life of the car. My 2011 didn't have that.

Also, I presume it keeps data in some sort of nonvolutile memory. Does it really reset its stats to 0 if you have to replace the 12v battery?

As for it BSing, yes, but the BS is consistent. My measured mileage (until yesterday) has been about 6% better than my observed mileage.

Bisco: Observed vs. measured mileage. If I go 300 miles, it says I got 53 mpg but I put in 6 gallons, my measured MPG is 53 but my observed MPG is 50. Since this delta is persistent over time, I don't believe it is due to different fill levels; otherwise just as often my observed mileage would be greater than my measured mileage. Settings: I stay almost exclusively in Normal mode. Once in a blue moon I use Pwr Mode for a few seconds. Winter gas: I get better mileage on the summer formula, but the delta in measurements remains consistent. The gas stations won't tell me when they change, but I get better mileage in May than I do in February. It's warmer then too. The delta remains consistent across all these variables.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, to be fair, that's true. I do reset trip meter with each gas fillup, and keep in mind if it's saying for example 4.8 liters/100 km, reality will be 5.1~5.2.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I missed that it was an abrupt step in average mileage over a short trip. That's just weird!

9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you sure you did not hit the trip button on the steering wheel?
    OORC the display cycled among:

Total miles (Odometer)
    Trip A
    Trip B
    "to the flag" (this trip)
    Miles to empty (no mpg)

If a trip meter has not been reset in a while it could get confused with total miles.

RRxing and RCO like this.
  10. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hi everyone: It is the average mileage over 7000 miles that changed suddenly, from about 53 to about 50. I've tried to be really clear about this.

This car has 4 mileage meters:
    Miles since the car was built
    Trip 1
    Trip 2
    Miles since last time car was turned off.

It was the miles since the car was built (7000) that changed abruptly, which is statistically impossible unless something malfunctioned. I did not accidentally reset one of the trip meters. They are both collecting mileage since my last fillup. As far as I know there is no way to reset the Miles Since the Car Was Built. That should be the whole point of such a meter; like total miles travelled, it should collect everything without being reset.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    regarding what you should be averaging in a gen 4, how does it compare to your previous vehicles?

12. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Odd - I've rarely looked at that reading, but it's seemed OK the few times I have - I leave it on the "to the flag" (this trip), and used to flip between TRIP A (since refill) and TRIP B (since I bought the car).

Then suddenly - my TRIP B reset itself, I think at 10,000 or so km. I'd been watching TRIP B as a "since I bought the car" reading, and my l/100km on that went from 3.8 to 6 - which was crazy. It was then that I worked out it had just reset - it's back to 3.8 again, and it's reset itself a second time. (I just went and looked - my ODO is showing 3.9 l/100km).

It's optimistic by 6.2% - like in most cars. It's calculated by the car's computer from a series of inputs from various sensors, and, as we all know, you always believe statistics. My real-time calculated is 4.14, compared with the car's 3.9.

13. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    In the Gen3, 50 indicated, 47 observed. In the Gen4, 53 indicated, 50 observed (rounded a bit but not much). I'm hoping that it will improve when it's broken in and we shift to the summer fuel. The Gen3's mileage decreased significantly when I changed the tires, and it didn't come back after 1k miles. They were supposed to be similar, according to the Toyota dealer.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, do more research when you need your next tires, don't rely on the dealers.
    sounds about right from gen 3 to 4.

mlbex100 likes this.
  15. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The mpg shown for the “life of the car” trip is NOT “the life of the car” number. It is the mpg since the last reset on the ECO screen. The only way to have that information is to never have reset either the A or B trip meters.

RCO likes this.
  16. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The trip meter does not reset at 10,000. It just loses the 6th digit. It keeps going with accurate data, just add back the missing digit.

17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just checked the manual - it is possible to RESET the ODO l/100km

upload_2018-3-26_10-37-21.png

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  18. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Got me. However I did not reset it.
    How is that different from Trip A or Trip B if they both show the mileage since the last reset? (according to the table, it doesn't show miles since the last reset, but apparently it shows mileage).

19. mlbex100

mlbex100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I did a heap of research, and it all said that the tires I bought were among the best mileage tires I could buy.

bisco likes this.
  20. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe double check your manual - this is the Aussie one, and for 2016. Yours might be different - TOYOTA has lots of regional differences with PRIUS features.