1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden loss of TPMS Sensors

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by PixelRogue, Apr 7, 2020.

1. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

Never new the complexities around a tire sensor until reading all the posts here to learn more about the TPMS sensor faults. Lot of great information, and I have a question and/or situation that I didn't yet come across in the earlier threads.

Situation: Replaced 4 tires. A week later, tire sensor light appears on dash (and sometimes flickers.) Keep an eye on it for a few days, wondering if the sensor light might be the result to changes in temperature and such. Take it back to the shop today and they tell me two sensors went bad.

While the milage is low ( <35k,) this is a 2012 PIP so it is out of warrantee.

Just the way the shop manager approached the discussion to say two sensors went bad immediately had me thinking something got botched during the install. I did not yet discuss that option w/the shop until I knew more about the topic. Shop avoided any mention of anything that could have happened, and printed out a hefty quote to replace them. They stated sensors on both back wheels were bad (batteries are dying they state.) Never an issue until the new tires were installed, now two suddenly went bad?

Shop work involved:
    • 4 new tires
    • Wheel balancing
    • Alignment

While it is remotely possible that both sensors go together, I am curious what alternative options might exist that could result of fault sensors as a result of tire/wheel work?

2. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The batteries in those TPMS sensors are probably over 10 years old.

They gave their lives to save your soul, or vice versa! (n)
    They served you well! No complaining.

I buy my new sensors on that big online place that starts with an A.
    Take them, and a dozen good donuts, back to the tire shop, when you schedule it in,, and smile!

Read the manual about resetting the TPMS reference button under the steering wheel.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the tire shop did 'em in. Did they by chance sell you on a TPMS rebuild, where they replace the valve stem and an O-ring or two?

For a data point: our 2010 has build-date August 2009. I got the OEM tires replaced last fall (just put them on this spring), no problems. Through Costco. I believe the did the aforementioned "rebuild", but not sure.

That's not conclusive, the TPMS batteries may vary, but I'd strongly suspect the shop's actions are involved in them going out. Hard to prove though. You could mention Yelp?

bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, too much of a coincidence. if my batteries croak, i'm putting a piece of electrical tape over the light.

at 40 psi, i only have to add air every 6 months

8 years and never seen the light.

5. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Unsure. They did not state they changed anything. Drove off w/the new tires. Few days later I drive back in because of the tire pressure dashboard light. Seems too coincidental that two of them (even old ones) would go at one shot. One, maybe...all maybe. As a data point, we also have the same model 2010 (non PIP) and never had this issue.

Tires were at a competitive price. Shop offered a discount when the order got botched up the first time ~ part of me can't help but think this might have been an accident, or dare I say it out loud, an effort to increase revenue. Thought wouldn't have crossed my mind except the way the shop manager was behaving.

6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TPMS sensor failure can happen at time of tire installation. I have had that happen twice on my car. But if it happened during installation, it is usually immediately noticed when they try to reprogram the old sensors. You had the car for a week after the installation without symptom. It would be very hard to prove they did something wrong, IMHO. That being said, I would not worry about the TPMS light.. Go without or buy external TPMS sensors. Since you just installed new tires, you probably do not want to pay for the dismounting and remounting, but if you do decide to fix them, it should be ~$50/tire (including the sensor and labor) or less if multiple. OEM sensors will cost more. If you buy sensors online, they can be as low as $10 each on eBay, and installation would be $15-$25/tire.

7. PixelRogue

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Car is not driven often. Noticed the light, and with the change in temperature thought it might be related so kept an eye on it, see it the light was early morning time, afternoon etc. Once it was obvious it was not related to temperature I took it back.
    Called corporate, and they are saying this happens often (sensors not working after an install.)

They price they had on labor was low, and they want nearly $100/sensor.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting, they must get damaged in some way

9. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whaaat? Is that price for one sensor without labor? The OEM sensor is ~$65
    42607-33011 - Toyota Parts Deal:,

But you can find them on ebay for $15. The link is for parts no: 42607-33021. Not sure if that fit 2012 PIP or not. Toyota parts site above say no, but I thought PIP used the same sensor as Gen3 or Gen4.
    4X Genuine TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR TPMS For Scion Toyota Lexus 42607-33021 PMV-107J | eBay
    GENUINE For TOYOTA LEXUS OEM TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SENSOR TPMS 42607-33021 | eBay
    Low temp would descrease Psi. Have you checked tire pressure with a good tire guage? Does the TPMS light stays on? If the light is flush and stays on solid, it indicate the TPMS sensor fault rather than low tire pressure.

#9 Salamander_King, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Minor brain fart: the new tires happened 12 months earlier.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The sensors sit just inside the rim very close to the tire bead.

Official instruction is to loosen the nut and let the sensor fall inside, before using the tire machine to break the bead loose from the rim.

Some installers say that's a waste of time and they've never broken a sensor with their bead breaker.

I don't know. I've never changed a (car) tire myself.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Officially, they are supposed to take off the TPMS sensor and replace grommets, nuts, valve core and cap, as I stated in this thread. But truth is not every tire installers follow this either.
    TPMS Service Kit | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.