1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden power loss under hard acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gcX, Aug 13, 2020.

1. gcX

gcX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I've noticed this on two occasions recently. If I begin to accelerate aggressively, for example from a dead stop as I'm making a right turn on red, the car will make power then seem to fall flat on its face abruptly. If I let off the accelerator and depress it after the occurrence, it will accelerate normally. No fault codes or lights present at the moment. Any ideas? tried searching but perhaps I'm not using the right keywords, any insight is appreciated. Thanks all.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Wondering if this might be related to a tire slipping and the VCS kicking in?

Which part of NorCal, as the encompassing area can be quite large.

Raytheeagle and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does this happen when you're not making a hard turn? Like you are accelerating on a flat even surface, just going straight?

If this only happens during aggressive accelerating turns, I would think SFO might be correct on tire slippage.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. gcX

gcX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thanks! I'm in South SF. I ended up swapping out the plugs for OEM Denso's and that seemed to resolve the issue, they were original at 173,000 miles. Now if I can only sort out the engine ping on my other Prius that occurs once the car is warmed up...