1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sudden rush of failed inverter-coolant pumps or ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by uart, Jul 3, 2011.

1. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We seem to be getting reports of failed inverter coolant pumps here on just about a daily basis. I'm wondering if they're all just failing now or if this is something of a "backlog" of failures that started in Winter but are only really being detected now.

I mean is it possible that many failures during the cooler months could have gone unnoticed if those cars weren't driven very hard or on particularly long trips?

2. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

I bet it is what you imply.
    1) This is the start of a HOT summer in the northern hemisphere-USA and Canada-where most 2nd gen Prius "live".
    2) The 2004,2005,2006 are at 60,000+ miles, so they have enough use on them to wear out whatever marginal part- bearings maybe?- that is causing the failures.

Maybe someone could start a survey- year miles location/climate so we can get some sort of idea on what drives the failures.
    I would be curious to see if the premature failures are concentrated in hot places-Vegas,Phoenix,Tuscon,New Orleans,DFW,Gulf Coast,Fla.

I did notice a couple of 2008's-Vegas girl and someone else- had failures.Vegas is plenty HOT- hell on earth hot.
    This "summer" has been hotter than usual in NOLA. I think summer begins June 21 or so?? but it has been very hot since mid May.

Some of Australia is pretty hot isn't it?? I know the interior can get terribly hot, but the coast is more moderate,right? How is it where you are?What time of the year was your failure?

Charlie

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah, right now it's the middle of winter here Charlie, but still pretty mild. Today was 20C (68F). Summer can get up to about 45C (113F), probably a similar climate to parts of Florida.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm surprised that regular readers of this forum have not clued in to replace the pump. I suppose it is time for a poll, if for no other reason to encourage people to get this repair done before the pretty triangle lights up their dash.

Addendum: Poll posted

5. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A combination of hot temperatures, some owners not complying with the LSC that is offered and some not checking their coolant level or looking for turbulence in the reservoir. A total laissez faire attitude driving across a desert or high desert will definitely get you in trouble. Years ago I crossed the salt flats with my family in a VW 1300 bug (Kafer) at high noon, all windows open, two children under 5. I stopped at every opportunity to tank up the car and the passengers. Even tho we started 6PM the night before, then stopped in Reno to eat, then stopped down the highway because of ignition problems ( a pinched capacitor wire at the clamp of the distributor) Finall got to Salt Lake City around 2 PM the next day. I felt like a Pioneer going Eastward.

6. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Funny.

"1) This is the start of a HOT summer in the northern hemisphere-USA and Canada-where most 2nd gen Prius "live"."

I guess I live in the coolest part of "Canada". It's just now getting into the mid 20s C. We will get into the 30s on a "hot" day. I don't remember ever seeing 40C. Got up to 36-38C a few years ago.

I was quick to get the pump replaced on warranty. So you see why I think this is funny.

BTW, I use the A/C (cooling part) maybe two weeks of the year.

:)

7. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in a fairly hot climate and my pump made it to 130,000 miles. I had it replaced as part of the TSB just to be safe. I guess I got lucky.

8. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Member

We were just lazy.
    My wife and son drive the Prius-
    When we got the recall notice I suggested they bring it in- but then just sorta forgot about it.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Heat or just age.
    So hot so far this year here even my car with a good pump and 4 year old 37,000 mile coolant was not happy.
    But four years is a long time. Way to long for Inverter coolant apparently.

My non recalled stock pump was struggling with what I thought was good condition oem sllc coolant. It had poor turbulence.
    My mpg's were tanking for no apparent reason so I took some of the inverter coolant out and looked at it in a clear glass and it looked bad.
    I changed it with new coolant and my mpg's immed. improved.
    Plus poor turbulence went to very strong turbulence.
    It looks like its boiling now. But its not as the plastic can is warm.
    I have been noticing for a few years some sort of dried up salts around the rim and on the cap and on the Inverter reservoir tank
    rim. Not good. Some corrosion there.
    Which led me to replace the fluid. Its so easy to replace the coolant too.

But now a few hundred miles later I have good turbulance and excellent mpg's but I see those same salts on the cap again.

I suspect the aluminum there using for the heatsink section of the Inverter is pure aluminum which has a very high corrosion potential.
    As high as zinc. Most automobile coolants never encounter
    that pure of an alumium which requires a superior anti corrosion additive. Aluminum cyclinder heads are probably
    not as pure to make them tougher and less expanding with heat.
    Could probably use an anti corrsion additive in this application.

I put some Waterwetter in the inv reservoir when I bought the car
    4 years ago as I always use it but I think it wore out.

Check this out: http://www.redlineoil.com/content/files/tech/WaterWetter Tech Info.pdf

10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That spec sheet on Redline looks good, I think I will try it, Thanks Ed. :D

11. David9962000

David9962000 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I used Red Line Waterwetter in my GF car that had old coolant and the needle went down a bit. Good stuff for rust too.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah it has stopped throwing that pink fluff around the cap too. I put about half a pint in and Its running very cool. Even in Fla 99 degree stop & go I don't think the inverter is getting warmer than 105 degree's. I can keep my hand on the bottle for quite awhile without it being uncomfortable.
    My mpg is very good.

This coolant loop is the heart and soul of this car. If there's any issue either with aged coolant or poor flow you will see your mpg's tank. I bet every rise in Inverter operating temp one degree is worth 1 mpg loss.

I am going to change this coolant every time I change the oil. Every 10K. Its cheap, quick & easy and protects the most expensive parts on the car. The Inverter & trans.

13. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. interesting stuff about the Waterwetter. So it inhibits rust AND have better thermal transfer?

14. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    My inverter pump died 2 months ago with 22K on it. This is on a 2005 Prius. The recall took care of it.

15. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I suspect that the demand on the pump (is it demand driven??) in the warmer temperatures and the relatively equivalantly advancing ages have perpetuated the rash of failures. That is, I don't think it's just the hot weather exposing previously failed pumps.

I say that with fairly high confidence b/c my inverter temps are on the CAN-View display that I monitor continuously when driving and when my inverter pump failed it did so catastrophicly and noticably over a period of less than 48 hours with very easy to see rapid rises in the inverter temps far above those ever previously observed even when running in relatively non-demanding conditions.

I hadn't had mine replaced b/c I was out of the country until 3 months before it failed and hadn't really appreciated the scope/scale of the problem and was pretty busy so it went to the back burner. In hind sight, I sure wish I'd had it done right away.