1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suffering after Prius accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Dec 5, 2006.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    About 2 weeks ago, I was involved in a VERY minor accident with my baby. I was on the 118 freeway on my way out of town, and I hit a 5 gallon bucket that flew into my lane. I had no choice but to hit it. I hit it (the bottom of the bucket) with the driver's side lower front bumper. It busted the fog light, dented in the bumper, and broke the grill too. Nasty little bucket!

I have never EVER been in a car accident, and since I am VERY picky with my car, I filed a claim to get it repaired. By the time the insurance company took any action, it was after Thanksgiving, luckily my car was driveable. I would have been very sad if it was a bad accident and was carless all this time. I got my car into the local Toyota dealer Friday, and picked up my 2006 Mazda 6 rental. The estimate is approx $1000, so I am glad I got it taken care of with just a deductible of $100.

The Mazda is a nice car, handles nicely and is well equipped, but it is NO Prius! I miss her so much! The mileage is one thing I miss, but honestly, it's much more than the mileage... My Prius spoils me! I guess I just got used to driving such a unique car, and now that I am just driving an every day, run of the lot average car, it sucks! I want her back!! :unsure:

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Don't the little things like this just suck? i was driving home a few years ago around this time, in the middle lane of a 3 lane interstate with a car in front of me and one on either side, when suddenly the car in front of me changed lanes quickly (almost swerved into the next lane), and i saw a freaking christmas tree sitting right there in the middle of my lane. needless to say i slammed on the brakes and squeezed as close to the car next to me as i dared, just getting past the tree, but probably scaring the sh*t out of the other driver.

At least your repairs are minor, you should have her back soon :)

3. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 5 2006, 08:38 AM) [snapback]357892[/snapback]</div>
    Yikes! You mean that a tree should be tied down before you try to transport it?

I'm just starting to realize how hazardous driving in "winter" weather is for the Prius; it's handling great due to the brand new ComforTreds I had installed just before Thanksgiving, but what little sense drivers had before frozen weather showed up (how difficult is it to turn on headlights and use turn signals?) is completely absent now.

My wife asked me just last night what vehicle I would prefer if our Prius was ever totalled. We were considering a minivan at the time, but we were in buying mode on Earth Day and guess what happened? As soon as they bring out that hybrid minvan we have a Corolla for trade-in...

Seaside, our thoughts are with you. May your baby be returned to you in a timely manner!

4. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Dec 4 2006, 10:52 PM) [snapback]357840[/snapback]</div>
    Same thing happened to me. 118 west at Tampa. 2 weeks and 1200 miles old. Truck tire tread took out front bumper, fog light, lower grill and front spoiler. Then it wrapped around and slapped the passenger side door (dented it). $1300, and one week later it was fixed. I paid the $500 deductable. I've hit lots of tire treads in other cars, no damage that wouldn't polish out. Not so this time. Look out for the road furniture! :(

5. H2OSkier

H2OSkier Member

I make the drive from Simi to LAX area daily. One day, on the way home, I saw a mattress fly out of a truck and a mini van run over it. You know what a kid looks like bouncing up and down on a bed. Well this poor mini van was doing the same thing. I'm sure the person driving had to change clothes after that. I find more stuff on the freeway on the 405 south of the Getty.

Ken

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I travel from Thousand Oaks to LAX weekly for classes (horrible drive as I have to leave right at 5pm) and I haven't seen too much stuff in the road, luckily I am crawling, so I can avoid objects in that stretch hehe.

Daily from Simi to LAX? WHY? LOL Sounds like a terrible drive!

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I hear your and feel it... trust me. Two nights ago I was driving along and "bam" the front passenger window shattered in to a billion pieces. All over the car out side. I don't know it was a rock that someone tossed at the car or what. Gained a few new gray hairs. These things come out of nowhere and pick us out. I am sorry about your accident.

8. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great news! I am supposed to get my Prius back Friday! I am so excited, and cannot wait till tomorrow! I hope I can sleep tonight! :)

9. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry to hear what happened. Here in the midwest, I have to dodge deer and other innocent animals that try to cross the interstate.

I hit a small animal once. Damaged the enitre front bumber of my Kia Optima. $1,300 total damage. $500 deductable later and I traded the car in for my Silver PRIUS.

I love my PRIUS dearly too.

The problem I would have after getting my car back from the body shop is that I would probably look over ever little imperfection and see if the car drove differently.

If there are any variations, it will just makes your PRIUS that much more unique compared to the others driving around.

10. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did get my Prius back today! I was supposed to get it by 9 am, but didn't until 3:30 pm. My Prius is a mess! My greatest fear with ever having an accident, is it not being the same... unfortunately, it was a Toyota dealership that I went to, I felt that they would take the best care of my car, but no... the hood was terribly re painted, needs to be repainted again, there are new dents and scratches (the car is not even 3 months old), and they didn't replace all items as told, so it will have to go back :( I am starting a new job in Long Beach this week, which means moving away, so when will I have time to take it back? *sighs* I am sad, truely sad.... I will never recomend Thousand Oaks Toyota, they never did what they said, and lied to me several times, not nice!

Needed a place to vent.

11. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seasidetraveler @ Dec 9 2006, 02:34 AM) [snapback]359626[/snapback]</div>
    That sucks. Sorry to read that. Keep us informed as to what you do next.

12. techman01

techman01 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Dec 9 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]359634[/snapback]</div>
    I hope you didnt give them the insurance check yet. If you did, contact your insurance company and tell them the work was not satisfactorily performed.

I have Liberty Mutual, and they go out of their way to help me when I have used them in the past for other vehicles. If there is ever an issue their lawyers are all over it. I believe you have the right to bring it to another body shop as well.

I would think most other insurance companies are similar.