1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggested Reading

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Pinto Girl, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm about to begin reading THE PERSIANS by Aeschylus.

It's an interesting story about the second Persian invasion of Greece; specifically the defeat of Darius' army at the Battle of Salamis.

Aeschylus fought in the battle, and it was the only thing mentioned on his tombstone...never mind that he invented Western drama!

From what I've read about the work so far, it represents an interesting turning point in drama, and other areas, too.

Up 'till then, the storyteller had this god-like, aurthorial viewpoint...but when Thespis first turned and spoke to someone else, everything changed.

Suddenly his point of view was only *one of two.*

And as suddenly, there was a realization that truth resides not in the storyteller, but in the dialogue.

And in empathy, too.

I think this is kind of like Democracy. I think that, in order for a democracy to work, we have to believe that there is no such thing as absolute truth...instead, that truth resides in the space between the words and thoughts...in the dialogue between two different points of view.

THE PERSIANS was told *from the view of the Persians.* It was, apparently, very forward thinking for the time (and today, too?)...Aeschylus was asking the audience to identify with the Persians...to think what it must have felt to be them, and to have lost that war.

And, even more subversively, he, perhaps, is suggesting that the Greeks take a look at themselves. "We're the most powerful; we've triumphed. But look who, eight years ago, thought their empire would last forever. Look who was so positive that God was on their side. Look who was so sure that their armies could never be defeated. And now, look what happened."

My point is that, it's the dialogue which makes democracy function...and those who seek to close down this interchange are actually functioning as its adversaries.

One other thing: According to my notes, THE PERSIANS didn't win any dramatic awards that year...but it was re-copied by enough people to have survived the burning of the library at Alexandria and all of the other huge losses of that time period and the transition through the Dark Ages. In fact, it is one of only thirty-some plays to have been so fortunate.

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have absolutely no understanding about what the play meant or why it was written. You are reading it in the context of modern civilization and ideals. When read as an ancient Greek the results are considerably different.

You seem to understand the method used in writing the play, but not its message. It laments the war and battle but in no way suggests that it was avoidable through dialouge. In fact the war was ineveitable due to the actions of Xerxes.

Any way, this war was probably the single most important war in our history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Salamis

The brutality of the Greeks in winning the wr was lamented, but not condemded, as the brutality was necessary. Its something I know you do not understand, that sometimes wars are necessary. No war has ever been stopped, concluded or avoided through discussions.

3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Where did Pinto Girl suggest that the war was avoidable? Her comments on dialouge were about it being necessary for a democracy to work.

4. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Devil's Advocate @ Jan 10 2007, 07:15 PM) [snapback]373831[/snapback]</div>
    Thankfully, that was not the case with the Cuban Missle Crisis.