1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestion for minor login page improvement

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by JimboK, Aug 11, 2006.

1. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Twice I've found myself using others' computers and not unchecking this box before logging in. I suggest the checkbox default to follow its own recommendation (which I agree with): "This is not recommended for shared computers."

Thoughts from others?

Jim

2. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think this works at all on my laptop - it's checked, yet I need to enter username and password each time. This isn't the way it works on other forums.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Personally, I like it checked. I would find it annoying to have to recheck the box every time I come here.

Unchecking and "don't remember me" are standard whenever using a public computer or one that is not yours.

4. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Aug 11 2006, 11:50 PM) [snapback]301941[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the response. Your issue would occur only if you're using different shared computers most of the time, so if that's your situation, I understand totally. Usually (but not always -- hence the suggestion) I'm using the same computer. On that computer I've checked "Remember me," saving me from logging in on that machine in the future. Even if you're using the same shared computer, if you're not worried about others creating havoc with your PC login, you could still choose to check it once and forget it during subsequent PC sessions.

Zencruiser, as suggested above, it works as designed on both my laptop and desktop. Not sure why it doesn't work on yours. Maybe someone more computer-literate has a theory.

Thanks,
    Jim

5. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe Zencruiser doesn't have cookies enabled on his browser?

6. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Aug 12 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]302074[/snapback]</div>
    That was my theory, but my knowledge of web browsers' behind-the-scenes workings likely is not at the level of some others on this site -- like you, perhaps. I didn't want to say it and seem a fool. :) So thanks for validating it.

Jim

7. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Aug 12 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]302074[/snapback]</div>
    Who's agitatin' my cookies?
    You agitatin' my cookies? :)
    I have my privacy level set on "medium high", which related to Homeland Security is probably a mauve with discreet magenta undertones... Thing is, I use the same browser for other forums and it remembers my user name, so unless there's a permission in my profile to allow cookies that I have to set, I'm at a loss.
    I've just been living with the agony of typing extra characters, whine, whine :(

8. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all cookie based. If you have cookies disabled, it's not likely
    you'll be able to log in at all. The "remember me" changes the login
    interaction such that Priuschat creates you a cookie with a much
    farther-out expiration time, and some other attribute that generally
    causes your browser to save it in a file somewhere for the next time.
    But browsers can also be set to zorch all cookies, even the "long
    expiration" ones, upon exiting, so you probably need to check a
    bunch of similar settings in your own environment too.
    _H*

9. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Aug 12 2006, 10:33 AM) [snapback]302167[/snapback]</div>
    That appears to be the reason. The difference between the Medium and the Medium High settings appears to be that the former restricts and the latter blocks first-party cookies that use personally identifiable information without implicit consent. You do have the option of overriding the privacy settings on a site by site basis, though.

10. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, maybe I'll have to site-specify the settings for here - but unless these cookies are WAY different, I don't understand why it's just this site. The multiple listing service site, my motorcycle forum site, etc., all remember my username. No big deal either way, but I also notice that I can't reply to a post here without the quote being included. I've tried clicking the quote button to where it goes "-", but it still includes the quote (which I usually just delete).
    The cars are so different, maybe the site is too :)

11. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ZenCruiser @ Aug 12 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]302277[/snapback]</div>
    To reply without quoting anyone simply click on the [​IMG] button at the top or bottom of the thread.

Clicking on the [​IMG] button at the bottom of any post, automatically quotes the message to which you are responding.

The [​IMG] button causes that message to be quoted when you ultimately click on the [​IMG] button; that way you can quote several messages in one response. The [​IMG] removes that particular message from those that are being quoted in your post.

12. jimmyrose

jimmyrose Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the tutorial! That's what I get for not experimenting...
    Really, thanks much!