1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions: Debian compatible notebook?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by bwilson4web, Nov 21, 2012.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

I'm looking for some product suggestions for a Debian notebook and iPhone/iPad app for a system build-out computer.

The IT Security folks are hunting down even 10 year old laptops to install their 'fixes'. Many of us have salvaged old laptops over the years from excess piles and loaded Debian or other linux for Xwindows and consoles. When they break, we excess them and keep a weather-eye out for older laptops going to salvage . . . but no longer can we use 'property tagged' laptops. That forces us to go 'private' like my K&E slide-rule.

REQUIREMENTS
    1. Console connection - one RS-232 console interface 9.6-112k baud, selectable bits, parity, stop-bits
    2. Network-to-build unit - one RJ-45 ethernet 10/100 mbs
    3. Network-to-WiFi or Gx wireless - connect to Internet for technical materials
    4. ssh - application to access unit under build or receive access from external network, putty OK
    5. Xwindows - application for legacy access to unit under build
    6. browser+Java - application to access technical materials
    Debian Notebook Solution

So I'm the market for:
    • Debian or other Linux compatible (REQUIRED!)
      • must be configurable to build the kernel and key apps from source kits
    • notebook size computer - speed is not important
      • small
      • cheap
      • bootable CD/DVD
      • 256-512 MB RAM (or more)
      • 10-20 GB disk storage
    • cardbus interface(s) - two preferred, minimum of one for WiFi card networking
    • ethernet RJ45 - 10/100 mbs
    • serial interface - DB-9
    • USB (optional, should be bootable)
    What I'll eventually do is see if I can craft a CD/DVD version of Linux and use a RAM or memory stick for /tmp and /swap.

The goal is a Linux appliance with Xwindows, ssh-server, networking, and RS-232 console. But the OS media will be 'read-only'. The accounts will be fixed with known accounts and passwords . . . but only able to run the software installed on the bootable CD/DVD disk.

iPad/iPhone

BTW, in parallel, I'm working on iPad/iPhone based console and networking solutions. I have found a console app and cable. I already run 'ssh'. However, copper ethernet and Xwindows remain an open question. I am thinking about WiFi for the copper ethernet but don't like it.

For the iPad/iPhone approach, the problem remains the absence of a copper-ethernet solution. However, I have considered:
    • WiFi-to-copper ethernet - would work but blocks use of WiFi to access internet technical sources
    • bluetooth-to-copper ethernet - supports local LAN interface to system under build, if I could find one
    This is not something that has to happen 'instantly' and I don't like what I'm seeing in the 'black Friday' sales. I'm thinking wait until after Christmas and pickup a second hand system. But my eyes and ears are open for suggestions.

Bob Wilson