1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions for Wheel Bearing type Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frontporch, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently picked up a high mileage 2007 (260K miles) and it has issues I had been going through. Seems like it may be an oil burner and previous owner drove it hard.

I have a noise that sounds like a front wheel bearing.. Have replaced those on just about every Prius I have owned, so I didn't give it much thought... even when it didn't have the characteristic noise changes while swerving left and right. I replaced both front bearings and the noise did not go away. At least I was able to replace a damaged knuckle from the mechanic that was there last and used a pickle fork.

I have moved tires around and that didn't help.

It is pretty constant whether accelerating, slowing, engine on/off, and becomes noticeable around 30 mph, but is probably there all the time. Its not bad, but I try to get rid of any noise that I can.

No noticeable shakes in the steering wheel... tracks straight and drives fine.

I feel like it is a noise coming from the front.

Any suggestions for what a senior prius with a hard life might be a common failure. I have not had one with this many miles. Ball joints seemed OK with the knuckles removed, no strange suspension clunks...

One thing I did notice is it seems the only thing that makes the noise change (besides speed) is loading the suspension like going over a smooth but not flat road, if that makes sense... Its also not that dramatic of a change.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My theory: The wheel bearings are ventriloquists, and you are hearing a rear one.

Have you lifted the rear end and thrown the wheels by hand to listen for that ticketaticktaticketa?

The gold standard for finding car noises is the ChassisEars.

There are several versions available, and some are almost cheap enough for DIY.

(I don't know of a place that rents the kit)

Frontporch likes this.
  3. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would the rear bearings not react the same as the fronts to become louder when turning and loading up one side or the other?

I have never replaced a rear on a Prius, but i guess they can also fail.

I do have a chassis ear. Probably the cheapest one ever made... has a single ear bud. Can't always find a good way to use it especially around moving parts, but I might be able to route the wire through the spare tire drain plug.

I have not spun the rears to listen for a noise, but it will be something I do first thing next week.

#3 Frontporch, Mar 8, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    When the right rear bearing failed on ours there was zero change for loading. Speed was the only factor.

Nobody could tell which corner from inside the car, but 5 minutes on a lift and it was obvious.

Frontporch likes this.
  5. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if it turns out to be a rear wheel bearing that would be great news. Looks like the replacement is easy as compared with the fronts. Might also be able to pick a genuine Toyota/Koyo/NSK? from a lot nearby.

6. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just lifted the rear and both tires spun easily with no noise. Bummer

7. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems like tires may be the culprit. I assumed that some were good but if you drive crazy and rotate maybe there will be uneven wear on all of them

I have an opportunity it’s to pickup a set of used tires and rims that the seller says has no road noise. Can use this as a diagnostic tool and temporary tires

8. FazilHussein

FazilHussein Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Lift the front end up with a jack, jackstands on both sides and put the car in neutral; spin a tire with one hand and place you other hand on the coil spring....you'll feel the vibration if it's the wheel bearing. Go with quality (Koyo, Moog); I made the mistake of using one from an autoparts store, lasted 20k km. If you end up having to replace a front wheel bearing, do yourself a favour and yank the whole yoke....heating and beating for 1/2 hr sideways makes you question life choices.

Ernie stires likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ^^^^ This.

I had one that laughed at every single piece of folk advice for isolating a faulty bearing. Different sound turning left or right? Haha. Jack up and spin and listen? Haha. Spin and feel the coil spring? Haha. Look for temperature differences after driving? Haha.

ChassisEar gave a positive ID in, like, 3 seconds. (Of course, that was after like 15 minutes lying sideways attaching the pickups to the four suspects.)

10. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Diagnosing the front wheel bearings by swerving on the highway has worked in my three previous gen 2s. This one did not have an increase in the sound when I road tested and the bearings were still ok when removed. I doubted myself because the tires were not that old and worn looking. My bearing removal process is violent so I would not reuse

if I had a good wireless chassis ear I would use a lot . My cheap model with a cord is tough to route from under the hood or the suspension

11. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After some closer examination I can feel that there is cupping on at least one of the tires. The cupping is on the inner treads of the tire. That tire was moved front to back.

Sorry @ChapmanF but I am going to make some conclusions here.

• Tire cupping sounds pretty darn similar to a wheel bearing failing.
    • Bad front wheel bearings do react to loading the suspension. If noise gets louder when at highway speed and swerving right, driver side bad. Swerve left and passenger bearing is suspect.
    • Cupped tires, if they happen on the inside of the tire, react opposite the bearing, but the noise only got slightly lower when loading the suspension. Best case run your hand along the worn tread and you will probably feel low spots.
    • Rear tire and bearing issues may not react to suspension loading, but are probably easier to diagnose with wheels off the ground.

This is not the first time I encountered this type of tire wear, both on cars driven by the previous owner. Had a Mitsubishi eclipse that sounded like a helicopter was following me. Assumed bearing so bet on that with a $30 replacement. Noise persisted. Got new tires. Quiet. Noise came back 1 year later. threw back on original bearing... Quiet again. Cheap bearings don't last.

12. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm sure there is something to that advice and it will work for a lot of people a lot of the time.

I didn't mean to suggest that will never work for anyone, only that you shouldn't be surprised when sometimes it doesn't. Then just break out the ChassisEar and you will quickly find the problem that the swerving test didn't.

Frontporch likes this.
  13. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recently bought a 2006 with 205k miles with a grinding noise. The grinding noise is so bad that you can't figure out which side is the source when you swerve left or right. No play on the wheels either, they are pretty solid. When I removed the axle and spin the hub, the source becomes apparent. Luckily fixing one of the hub did fix the grinding noise.

I was even tempted to just source out the spindle with hub from the junkyard but damn all the Priuses have all bad bearings, even the one involved in collision! Kind of surprising for Prius owners to ignore such noise as normal. In my case the owner doesn't want to fix the noise but just get rid of it since there are other issues (I guess they could live with the noise)

14. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case the bearings were OK only because one was already replaced. The aluminum spindle was pretty beat up by a picklefork and neither dust shield was put back on. I felt better for the effort that I was able to fix the crappy job don’t there with junk yard parts in reasonable shape

I do agree that bearing repair is pretty common and I have seen cars listed with that problem

15. highmilesgarage

highmilesgarage Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    this is what mine sound like, if it's a wheel bearing it's obviously a wheel bearing..

16. Frontporch

Frontporch Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good audio of the bad bearing noise around 1:20. I have to say that my cupped tires had a similar sound. The tire wear, I think, is less common.

On around 2:55... I also support the spindle and pound the bearing out. Last time I had a helper hold a mini sledge positioned on the bearing and I hit that with a bigger sledge. My issue that sometimes I don't hit the center of the bearing when I swing the sledge, so i wanted to avoid damaging the sides. I also had a ton more corrosion on the last set I removed.