1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suggestions on a good fileshare site?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Dan., Sep 29, 2009.

1. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have 300 MB of files I want to share with a broad distribution. The files have to be direct linkable ie:

file1: http://whatever.com/accountid/file1.bin
    file2: http://whatever.com/accountid/file2.bin

without expiration... the deep links persist.

I got Amazon S3 working and it looks ok. Will probably cost me about $0.25 / GB-bandwidth / month. Anybody have any other suggestions? I have a fair web service, but they cap at 2GB bandwidth, and it gets pricey for overages. All I need is file hosting. Nothing special beyond that. I can do all the PHP and perl stuff through my host and just point to the file host for the large data files.

Saw some stuff at GoDaddy, but it looked promotional (ie signup cheep, then it gets expensive once you publish your site).

Thanks

2. Dan.

Dan. MPG Centurion

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So banging around Amazon S3 here's their pricing.

one cent / 102.4 MiB in / month
    one cent / 60.24 MiB out / month
    one cent / 1,000 puts / month
    one cent / 10,000 gets / month

Plus you can specify any file as a torrent

3. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bandwidth costs.

I use my office connection, which is a CableCo. Unlimited bandwidth with commercial service and a fixed IP address, it's about 110$ US per month (130 Can$).

Can your client base be patient? Also, could you use BitTorrent?

The absolute cheapest is to buy a used 1U server and pay 150$ (or less) for Co-Loc hosting. As long as you don't peak above 10Mbits your cost will be reasonable, usually the same 150$.

I know many use BitTorrent with a such a 1U fileserver as the main seed. Then popular files are re-seeded from the "office" and the "home".

hope this helps