1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

summer 2009

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Radon, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did anyone else notice that prius.ca lists the release date as summer 2009 rather than spring?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    at the top banner, yes but the intro video still said Spring 2009. It might be summer since we get it later than the US (supposedly)

3. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    booo enviro happy Canadians first I say. Smaller market be damned!

4. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,

The 2010 Prius will go on sale in Japan on May 18th.

Ken@Japan

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Ken,

ohh?? Interesting. So the US launch should be fairly close to that date with the Canadian and European launch not too far behind.

6. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I get a fealing I won't see the Aussie spec Prius until September or October.

7. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI,

Found some dates for the US market.
    http://www.donlen.com/buildstart_toyota.html

My source also told me the production will start on April 20th.
    US people will see it on the road on June 1st or later.

Ken@Japan

8. Radon

Radon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This forum has folks with super spy skills thanks Ken

9. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The line off date of April 20th falls in line with info I got at the NYC event. But I was also told that the prius prioriy customers should see their cars first or 2nd week of May so dealer delivery orders shouldn't be far behind starting June 1st. Great find as always Ken!

10. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

I just came back from the 2010 Canadian introduction at the Toronto Auto Show. I asked a number of people and they all said Spring 2010 in Canada and it should be about two weeks after the US. It is one beautiful car and they had both of them in my favourite colour blue:)

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! How was it? Do you have any pics to share? What models did they have on display and how many?

2 weeks after, eh? That's fine. I thought it might be months after.

12. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hi Tideland,

It was a wonderful even - will post a summary with pictures in a separate post. What is the best way to load up the pictures (have a lot)? They had two blue ones on the floor and one on a podium. The one on the floor was handmade at the cost of $1M and was driven away after our event and before the Auto Show opened. Also the steps to the podium were taken away. We were told that we saw the car 2 weeks before they let the auto media to get into it. :)

It was a terrific event (more later) ...

My sincere thanks to Tideland (Jon) and Team Toyota!
    Gabe

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, probably flickr or picasa or some other online photo album site is the best way to load up the pictures.

Wow, they had a pre-production (or prototype?) on the floor? I'm curious as to how they're spec'd.

14. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hmmmm.....so if I'm not planning on purchasing/taking delivery of a Prius until May or June 2010 then it's *possible* that I could get a 2011 Prius, right? depending on schedules, of course. I was planning to purchase a 2010 but not in 2009...I'm not in any hurry and do not plan to purchase a car in 2009.

so I'll have to see what they're planning for 2011, if anything new. Hmmmm....

15. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I doubt it, the new prius is coming out in May/June because it is the first year of a new generation. I bet the 2011's will be relatively unchanged and will probably come out the same timeframe as most vehicles. So the 2011's will be available, imo, sept/oct 2010.

16. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Story with (lots of) pictures are posted:
    http://priuschat.com/forums/2010-to...nadian-reveal-toronto-auto-show-feb-14th.html
    The one on the turn podium was labeled prototype and the one on the floor was a handmade one at a cost of $1M. The handmade was driven out of the showroom before the show opened to the public and was replaced by a matrix (see my post).

17. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agree - most of the Toyota reps were non-committal, but was told ~end of Spring. Will see - are you anxious?

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Of course! haha. It's the most anticipated vehicle in the hybrid world. Given that Canada is very price sensitive and hybrids are popular in certain locations (Toronto and Vancouver/Victoria being the prime locations. Across the country, I'll be lucky if I even see 1 a day!). With the impending launch of the Insight, Toyota Canada has some tough decisions to make. The current hybrid leader in Canada is the Camry Hybrid and for good reason. It drives like a normal Camry, it's very quiet and decently luxurious for its class and a superb highway cruiser. You don't give up much in power (faster than a 4 cylinder) and good fuel economy (better than a Yaris). The icing on the cake is the price. Before the price drop, it was simply a better value than the Prius. With the price drop, it's still good value at $34,680 with nav, leather, power seats, power moonroof etc vs. the $33k Prius with backup camera has its advantage (in addition to the fantastic fuel economy).

I'm surprised the prototypes were even unlocked and that you were allowed to sit in it!! Guess they didn't want to reveal anything about the packages, if they're even finalized at all.

Still, I'm excited as I'll be bringing my friends along (as I have to other Toyota hybrid events) so I can brainwash, I mean, educate them further on hybrids.... yes :rolleyes: :D :cool:

19. Prius 07

Prius 07 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It will be interesting how Honda will market (price and advertisement) the Insight vs. the Prius and vice versa. It seems clear that the Insight will have a lower price that Honda will milk. Already the media is full of the hybrid premium stories and their long payback. Unfortunately this will continue to turn away potential new owners or perhaps they'll settle for a lower priced hybrid.

Nevertheless it is nice to see a surge of Prius' on the road in this area. It makes me smile every time I see one. :)

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. Honda Canada is looking between $19,000 and $25,000 but that's all I've heard. There will be an LX and EX model with the LX expected to make up 70% of the sales because the EX has navigation, alloys, VSC, USB integration and some other things that I don't remember. It's unfortunate that the navigation system isn't a stand-alone option (again, don't take this as confirmed as Honda Canada hasn't said anything but this is what I've gathered from around the net).

The new Prius is expected to be around the current Prius' starting price says Stephen Beatty. Now does that mean $27,000ish or $28,000ish (i.e bumped down or bumped up from $27,710?) and with what equipment included as standard. I've already given my guesses in the other thread "Canadian Spec... ulation" so just like the sneak peek pictures, it'll be fun to see how wrong I was =P ;).

Again it'll be a tough job for Toyota Canada, no doubt.