1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summer gas?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by rflagg, Apr 5, 2005.

1. rflagg

rflagg Member

So, I'm sure I asked this around the same time last year - but spring fever is getting to me, and my car! So, I'll ask again.

When does the summer fuel usually start? Looking at my records, I see my tanks didn't start doing better until end of April/beginning of May, but I just fueled up yesterday and have been riding at 56+MPG. Granted the weather has been great, and should continue to be, but before this tank I was still getting 50-51MPG and it was in the 50's, now it's in the high 60s low 70s. Perhaps I just got lucky and found a 'good' tank of gas? Any ideas, anyone? Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining here! :)

-m.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    since the freezing point of summer gas is so high, it will depend on what area you are in. rumours has it that is this area, its april 15 and my climate is similiar to yours in the winter. not as hot however in the summer.

but you will certainly see a large jump in mileage. also keep in mind that the temp differences play a huge part so the spring weather you are getting now will reduce warmup times and make a huge impact on your mileage especially if you have shorter trips in the 10 min range.

in the summer, my car would be fully warmed up in about 2-3 minutes. in the winter it was more like 5-10 depending on the temp. so the shorter the trip the more the mileage will be affected.

also keep in mind that some areas have "spring" gas... but i would have to assume that that is in the extreme climate areas only.

3. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    rflagg - where do you get your gas? I also live in the Springfield area, and have not yet noticed the summertime mileage (~56 MPG). Although, most of my driving is early morning or after dark when the temps are still a bit chilly (35-40 F this morning).

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    those chilly temps will make your warm up times much longer. you would best tell if you had the summer gas only on longer trips of at least 30 mins or more.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I had a nice 3.8L/100km (62mpg) tank on the last 30kms. 9kms from fuel station to home on Sat, then 21kms yesterday (on separate journeys). I don't expect it to last since the car's in for servicing today and my dad took the Prius

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow!!

that kind of milage in trips of that duration are excellent!

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    =) I'll update when the car returns home tonight and see how much it dropped lol

8. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    That's essentially what I was implying, which makes me wonder what time of day rflagg drives. My commute is ~50 miles each way, so I doubt that trip distance is much of a factor.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

Blue,

This recent tank I got from my least favorite gas station to visit near my workplace, just north of Dulles Airport. And I leave at 7am in the morning, when the snowflake still shines (37 degrees) and head home at 5:30pm when the temps are in the 60s recently.

-m.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    actually lets speculate on economy.

if when its cold out, it takes 10 mins to warm up and we get say 25 mpg. travelling 60 mph (used for easy math purposes) then we got 10 miles using .4 gallons

then we go another 50 miles at 50 mpg so its 1 gall.

so we used 1.4 gallons to go 60 miles = 42.9 mpg

so then lets take the same trip when its warmer and it takes 5 mins to warm up (in the summer my car usually took less than 3 mins at city street speeds)

so we go 5 miles at 25 mpg which makes .2 gallons then we go 55 miles at 50 mpg = 1.1 for total of 1.3 gallons = 46.2 mpg.

so that is a 3.3 mpg difference using same gas formula of 25/50 mpg. now we all know that in real cold weather it can take at least 10 mins to warm the car up and in warm weather it takes less than 5 mins. so you will see that temp makes all the difference in the world. if you dont believe me, ask Jayman or John or any of those other eskimo types.

11. Blue

Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dave - I agree completely. I was just trying to figure out how rflagg was managing to get better mileage, given that we live in the same area, have a similar commute (I work in Baltimore), travel at about the same time of day (similar temps), and probably use the same tricks to improve our mileage (e.g. 42/40 tire pressure, feathering, etc.).

Although after today (temps in the 70s) I'm now at ~54 MPG, so I'm not too far behind...

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, the car's back. The average shot up to 5.0L/100km (or down to 47mpg)

13. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

So Tideland did you ground Dad? that's a really big hit!

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    lol

nah. I mean the car only had 30kms on that tank so it will fluctuate wildly before settling down. Also, it was in for servicing so I assume the engine will be running on idle for a while. I will try my darndest to bring it back down to 4.7 although with the weather we're having, I wonder if that'll be possible.

15. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

with this weather you lucky to get it around 7.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    7.0? really?

I've never got 7.0 as an avg. Highest on the MFD that I've seen is 5.9

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    David:

You bet it does.

Temps were +13 C today, and my usual commute the MFD claimed 3.8 L/100km (74 MPG). The same commute at -40 the MFD claimed more than 8 L/100km (35 MPG).

I'm trying to think of a smart-a** and hilarious comment to "eskimo types" that involves peanut butter but I fear my brain is still hibernating. Remind me in a couple of weeks.

Jay

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I should have Frank and you visit Winnipeg in January. You might even see 10 L/100km.

Now that the temps are getting up to +13 C, the MFD average has gone from 6.5 down to 4. The temps are just right, no heat or A/C needed and I usually crack the windows a couple of inches to leave the HVAC fan off.

I had almost forgotten what Stealth was ...

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Jayman...

considering where i live i usually get coffee, expresso, and clam jokes

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's ok Jayman. 8 months in Edmonton (-33°c on 25th Jan 04) is enough for me :)

It's amazing you can get 4.0 in 13°C weather. I'll just assume that that's because your trips are long. I was able to bring the avg from 4.7 to 4.5 one Thurs back in March when we had a brief warm spell and I was driving around the city sending my mum and bro to places.