1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Summer Heat & Enginer System

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by pbui, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pbui

pbui Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am wondering how the system is handling the summer heat ? my 4kwh system seem to operate so warm for my comfort. The converter gets so warm, it's hard to believe that it's up at 88% effeciency. With the converter enclosed inside the box, the heat is also warming the batteries unnecessarily. I recall Jack stating that the 4" fan comes on at 104F; but the air flow is not very well ducted.

I removed the two rubber 1.5" diameter plugs at the bottom of the spare wheel well, thinking to get a little bit of outside air exchange as there are vent holes in the bottom of the Enginer box. I must admit I've checked to see whether it's helping or not; as the fan may be drawing even warmer air from the engine/exhaust up front. I thought about ducting to the right side where the stock battery pack gets its air. But I think the flapper valve is not correct. I believe the the OEM battery air flow into the passenger right vent, so it must sucks in outside air. But the flap closes in that direction ? a bit puzzled with the Toyo design.

Ideally, I would like to mount the converter in the spare wheel well and duct its little fan exhaust directly out of the vehicle.

How do we know if it's too hot ? it just dies ? not a good preventive plan.

-Pb