1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof Glass Edge Rubber Rippling/Tearing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Canard, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Canard

Canard Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Gen3 2010, 15 months on the road, 62 000 km. While washing the car today I noticed that the rubber edge bonded to the sunroof glass is buckling/rippling/tearing. Cosmetic only, as far as I can tell - damage/wear doesn't permeate far enough down to cause a problem, I don't think.

photo 1.jpg
    Leading Edge

photo 2.jpg
    Trailing Edge

Has anyone else noticed this?

-Iain

barbaram likes this.
  2. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've had the same problem since the first winter in 2009/10, plus a little bit of cracking at the joint of the compound and the glass. It hasn't really gotten worse. I try to keep the snow broom and car wash pressure wand away from the edges.
    What the heck were you doing washing the car anyway? It only got up to 20F (-7C) here.
    20120731 update - I noticed that it was getting worse after the winter was over (sorry, no pics, camera's on the fritz). I brought it in to Acton Toyota Littleton MA Serving Boston | Used Toyota For Sale Massachusetts and they replaced the sunroof and wind deflector with no hassle whatsoever (and it only took two days for the parts to arrive). Job was done in two hours. They were very pleasant, do nice work, and provide free coffee, donuts, and breakfast sandwich while you wait.

3. Feri

Feri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm onlyguessing but it looks like some sort of solvent has affected the rubber?

4. tcdp3

tcdp3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not a bad guess (solvents), but I think given the comments on other threads, as in this one, that it's a fairly common problem. I wish I knew what they call that surround material (probably a proprietary secret). I'm lucky, mine didn't get bad for almost 10 years...