1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof Noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cibby, Jun 2, 2009.

1. cibby

cibby New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm eagerly waiting to test drive a Prius with the sunroof package. I haven't seen much feedback from new owners on how loud it is when driving at high speeds (i.e. on the freeway). Can folks who have been in one provide feedback on the noise level? Would you say it's quieter, about average, or louder than most?

Thanks!

2. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Also, how much of hit on the mileage with the roof open?

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Being a bigger opening, I'd say it's slightly louder, but it's been quite a while since I've had a moonroof/sunroof (2001) on a car I drove regularly.

4. cibby

cibby New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

How is the wind noise? I find some sunroofs are so loud that you really don't want to drive with them open on say the freeway. It doesn't sound all that bad from your post. If you can provide any more info that would be great.

Thanks!

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I opened it up tonight because it was only 84°F outside on the way home. I noticed more noise when I had the side window down than when I had the moonroof open.

6. global

global Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Beyond just wind noise-how is the roof noise with audio going? I like the idea of a sunroof - I have one in my Jeep Liberty-and I stopped using it because with it open I could not hear the radio or anyone in the car talking. I don't want to repeat that mistake. I realize the Prius moonroof is a much different design-but still worth checking.

Thanks for anyone's response.

7. avian

avian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can still hear the radio fine if I open the sunroof, however I only open it to the first position (tilted up) if I'm on the freeway. If it's open all the way its like having a window open.

1 person likes this.
  8. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I haven't played with it a lot. But, it was pretty noisy at freeway speed. It was all the way open. Didn't have the radio on so I can't comment on that.

1 person likes this.
  9. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Not as noisy as most retracting sunroofs.The two angled blades on the open sunroof not only minimize wind resistance but also reduce noise. It;s quieter to have only the sunroof open than a window open, but, yes, you do have to turn up the volume.

1 person likes this.
  10. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The sun roof sucks
    It is very loud compared to my pick up truck
    Any sun roof that slides on out of the roof are noise compared to a sun roof that slides into the roof
    The only good thing is it lets in more light and you get the ventilation fan

11. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ah, a contrary opinion! We really need a comparative decibel test. I believe that the Prius design, minimizing wind resistance, also reduces noise, but I'd love to see this tested.

12. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With it open to the first stage (back lifted up) you can hear some wind noise but it is not intrusive even at highway speeds,

Open it all the way and as the roof section retracts externally the wind noise levels do rise and the audio volume needs to be turned up a little. Very little turbulence gets in to the cabin however.

We have just had an aftermarket unit fitted to mother in laws Nissan Micra. Compared with it the only feature I find missing on the Prius unit is the automatic opening and closing of the sunshade.

David