1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SunRoof option in PiP ?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by iFreedom45, Mar 3, 2012.

1. iFreedom45

iFreedom45 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi everyone,

I have owned so far 3 Prius (2xGen II and 1xGen III). Never got the SunRoof option. I sold my last PRIUS a few weeks ago and I would be interested in the SunRoof option with my next PiP purchase. ;)

I've been reading all the posts of the few lucky people that have already recevied their Prius PlugIn. Don't recall seeing any comments about this option.

I was wondering, is the SunRoof option available on the PiP ?

If so, how much ? Did anyone order their PiP with the SunRoof option ?

Many thanks,
    Dan

ps.
    Still don't know if & when the PiP will be available in Canada. Does anyone know when ? :high5:

2. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, no solar roof option. It adds extra weight and the Plug-in Prius is already heavier from the bigger battery.

3. JamesBurke

JamesBurke Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The roof structure on the non solar non moon roof Gen 3Prius doesn't allow for installation of an aftermarket moon roof. This was a topic during the Gen 3 roll out and we even had drawings from the repair manual. Weight was an issue with the Gen 3 pkg 5 so it didn't get the moon roof. I can't see Toyota using the special framing on a car that doesn't come with the option.

4. ElPresidente

ElPresidente New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a baffling omission to me. There's only 2 trim levels for the PiP, and the Advanced does not include this?

I understand design choices, but for some of us, spending that many dollars on a "luxury" car, it's a deal-killer. Starting to lean more towards Prius C which does have moonroof option.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's how introductions are. Some goodies are saved until later, typically with a mid-cycle refresh, sometimes not until the next generation.

6. heapmaster

heapmaster New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I know this is an old post, but I got a Prius Plug-in Advanced with Moon Roof/Sun Roof, so it is possible.

7. se-riously

se-riously Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Most likely an aftermarket install. To my knowledge, it was never offered from the factory. You'd know because the factory sunroof always came with the solar roof on Gen 3.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    correct, but it can be done successfully.

9. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I'm curious to see pictures of how it looks?

I have always been a big fan of moonroofs (and had one I loved on my 1996 Integra before getting my first Prius in 2006), but unfortunately it has not been an option on the Prii I had (Gen 2 & my current 2014 PiP).

I have seen aftermarket installs which look as good as factory, it is just this nervousness I have about having someone cut into the sheet metal, and risk of leak later on.... Better have deep trust in the installer!

Buying used where it is already done eliminates most of that risk. ;-)

bisco likes this.