1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by carz10, May 6, 2007.

1. carz10

carz10 New Member

I am new to this forum and have just started to research a 2007 Prius Touring model. I am curious as to why there is no sunroof option. I looked at all the packages on line and did not see it. I have not been to a
    dealer yet either. Did I miss it or is this not an option?

2. duanelaugh

duanelaugh New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(carz10 @ May 6 2007, 10:20 AM) [snapback]436334[/snapback]</div>

Not an option and none available.

3. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Duane @ May 6 2007, 10:29 AM) [snapback]436335[/snapback]</div>
    The roof is not flat, it would be very hard to install with the ridges and slope to the roof.

4. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Negatives: It would add weight, take away headroom, add cost, and add the possiblility of problems with leaks.

Positives: It would add a little ventilation at no aerodynamic cost. Could be a selling point for some people.

Just because the roof is not flat doen't mean you can't put in a sunroof. Mazda did on the 3rd gen RX-7 with a "double bubble" roof.

Ask Toyota marketing why it isn't available.

Probable answer - "You can't always get what you want, but you can get what you need." ;)

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ May 6 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]436346[/snapback]</div>
    There is an aerodynamic cost. On a slippery car like the Prius, it's probably much higher than most would be willing to pay.

Tom

6. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ May 6 2007, 10:12 AM) [snapback]436356[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. That's the reason why there's no sunroof option from the factory. I remember seeing a thread somewhere ( along time ago) about an aftermarket Prius sunroof.

7. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think weight is a greater factor (glass + frame + motor + rails).

9. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The aerodynamic cost of a sunroof is very small to zero. The reason is the air is forced upwards by the windshield and separates from the car body at the front of the roof. There is actually a slight vacuum there. Putting a sunroof there (tilting kind seems to cause the least disturbance) helps to fill this vacuum when it's open (air from inside the car fills it). The air reattaches at the rear of the roof but separates again at the rear window. Attach small strips to your car and have someone drive it and watch from another vehicle. Then come back and argue with me. ;)

Just because the Prius has a good aerodynamic design doesn't mean it's perfect. It has to conform to "car shape" requirements.

10. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've found that I seem to always want a sun/moonroof in my car and then rarely ever use it ... little to none.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 6 2007, 04:17 PM) [snapback]436524[/snapback]</div>
    really? hmm.. I always use the moonroof on the Camry whenever I get the chance. I hate having the wind blow in my face so the moonroof is a good option for non-A/C ventilation.

12. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David Beale @ May 6 2007, 07:02 PM) [snapback]436521[/snapback]</div>
    True, and just because a sunroof sits in a low pressure area, it isn't immune to the laws of aerodynamics. An open sunroof creates a cavity flow condition, which creates turbulence in the shear zone between the fast moving outside air and the slow moving cabin air. The turbulence creates drag by generating sound and heat. To avoid annoying turbulent sounds, most sunroof designs feature a pop up deflector to move the airflow above the cavity. This is done at the expense of increased drag, as compared to a smooth roof surface, but is preferable to having your eardrums pop out from the noise.

As one of the other posters suggested, weight in the roof is probably a bigger problem than aerodynamics, seeing that you can make a sunroof that closes fairly well.

There has been some interesting research in the area of reducing sunroof noise. Take a look at the following article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2006/...60224102913.htm

It starts like this:
    Fighting Sound With Sound, New Modeling Technique Could Quiet Aircraft

Science Daily — Newly published research by a Princeton engineer suggests that understanding how air travels across the sunroof of a car may one day make jet engines less noisy.

Tom

13. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I've found sunroofs work best for me (air flow with minimal noise) just tilting up the back. The anti-Prius (see below) sunroof can slide open (never use it except when parked so children can stand with their heads out the top of the vehicle - they seem to get a great kick out of it), and it can also tilt open at the rear. This works great - little extra noise, lots of air flow, miminal if any aerodynamic cost. No deflector needed.

14. chappie

chappie New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I smell a marketing move afoot. As the consumers drive the additons to this car, Toyata will respond. This year there is a touring model, with leather available in both trim lines, after many requeste it. I do believe that Toyata has discovered that many will pay top dollar for the hybrid IF it comes equipped with the features they are used to on their other high end vehicles. If they put everything on the car the first few years, we wouldn't trade up every 3-4 years!! I suspect a sunroof will make an appearance over the next couple of years. With other companies jumping on the hybrid bandwagon, Toyota will do what is necessary to stay ahead of the competition.