1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AOV, Jul 17, 2007.

1. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    "I JUST SPOKE TO WEBASTO DIRECTLY AND THEY DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING A SUNROOF IN THAT PARTICULAR CAR. SO, UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT ABLE TO INSTALL ONE. "

Received this via email from an installer, about 1 hour away, that was the closest to me.
    When they say "no", do they mean "no"? :(

My next choice is about 1 1/4 hours away....and then I have to go even further.

There are not that many in my area, according to the Webasto website.
    Does anyone know of a reputable installer in the New York area? (no further than 2 hours from NYC) or even Western Connecticut?

2. Tom_06

Tom_06 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 17 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]480143[/snapback]</div>
    I checked with the installer near me and got a similar response - they wouldn't install a sunroof in a Prius because "it would distort the roof and probably leak". Even after I mentioned the positive reports online along with photos. That was AUTO SUNROOF INC.'s owner here in Delaware.

- Tom

3. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Don't give up! I had five "no's" before I got the one "yes." If you get a "yes", be sure you have confidence in their work though. I visited the shop to check out their work and what kind of cars they were working on before I was sure my "yes" could actually do the job right.

4. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(craigk @ Jul 17 2007, 10:57 AM) [snapback]480212[/snapback]</div>
    Did you have to sign some sort of waiver since the manufacturer does not recommend it?
    I had to when I had my windows tinted. I wanted darker, and in New York you really can't have it that dark, yet the neighboring states allow it, thus the waiver.

5. orionll

orionll Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is sort off topic, but I remember meeting a person with a Prius with a sunroof. I don't think the sunroof was curved to the roof or the roof was flattened. I remember she told me that she bought her Prius at the Toyota dealer at Berkeley and they recommended a place to get a sunroof. I don't specifically remember much about the sunroof or anything, I just thought I'd share.

6. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(orionll @ Jul 17 2007, 11:42 AM) [snapback]480243[/snapback]</div>
    Great idea, never thought of it, so I called.... after a moment or two, the answer was "There is no one around here, try Westchester County or New Jersey".
    Thanks anyway.

7. craigk

craigk Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AOV @ Jul 17 2007, 10:17 AM) [snapback]480224[/snapback]</div>
    I don't know who would require this waiver, I didn't have to sign any. I have a full manufacturer's warranty on the sunroof mechanism, a warranty from the installer, and I don't think I voided any Toyota warranty.