1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sunroof

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by woolie, May 22, 2005.

1. woolie

woolie New Member

I am thinking of buy a Prius, but I have some requirements for a car that on the surface appear to be incompatible with the Prius #6.

#1 Fuel efficient Check
    #2 Amber rear turn signals Check
    #3 Nav system Check
    #4 real iPod integration (with iPod2Car) Check
    #5 Leather Nope
    #6 Sunroof Nope

After talking with the local dealer here, they assure me that aftermarket leather and an aftermarket sunroof are fine. I have a hard time believing this about the sunroof. I feel a little skeptical about it considering the source (a salesperson).

Anyone installed a sunroof?

PS: The sunroof doesn't get opened all that much, I live in the Pacific Northwest and it rains a lot here. Without a sunroof, life is too gray.

TIA

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can have leather installed, others have done it and it looks great. They've even put in seat heaters and lumbar support.

But I wouldn't do the sunroof. If you go to a dealer and look at the Prius' roof it's not "flat" like a conventional car. It has slight channels with I think are part of the aerodynamics of the car, resulting in less drag and better mileage.

If you put a sunroof in it *might* not leak. But you'll take a hit on mileage. Why don't you go sit in that car and "feel" the headroom and see if you absolutely have to have the sunroof. And while you're there...take a test drive and see if you can love the car without it.

(Okay, I'm prejudiced against sunroofs because I believe eventually they all leak.)

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(woolie\";p=\"91649)</div>
    First, there is no OEM iPod integration in the Prius. Various owners have jeri rigged different solutions with mixed results.

As far as the sunroof, it has been extensively discussed here in the past. Here are the three most extensive discussions:

Let the Sunshine In or Sunroof’s in CA

Moonroof available in Seattle

Sunroof

The search feature of this bulletin board is quite useful.