1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

sunscreen/sunguard

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bob Osgood, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Bob Osgood

Bob Osgood New Member

Has anyone found a sunscreen/sunguard 8) for the windshield that's fitted for the Prius or at least works well? It's starting to get nice and warm in Texas, and I would like to protect the dash, etc.. Thanx...

2. xlarimer

xlarimer New Member

I've been looking as well. I have a great one for my Toyota Tundra. I was going to send an email to the manufacturer to see if I can have them make one up for us 04 Prius owners. With that big screen, it would be nice to have something to keep the car cool and away from bad UVs now that it is getting warmer in California.

3. cybele

cybele New Member

I read somewhere a long time ago that the Prius was supposed to have lowE glass - it's supposed to block heat and UV rays.

(Of course a sunscreen is also going to help, regardless)

Anyone know if it actually made it onto the car?

4. FredWB

FredWB New Member

I bought a so called jumbo version. Still not big enough. So I went to Kragen and found an extra jumbo, black on one side and silver on the other, 2 pieces. It covers the window with room to spare. The tag says Magic Shade.

5. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Based on what I found on another group, I bought the Super Jumbo shade pop together shades- only comes in gray/black - at Walmart that is two pieces.

What you do is turn the pieces up and down instead of long-ways and it just fits under the window - sometimes (if I am good) without putting the sun flaps down.

The two pieces overlap a bit in the middle (Axiom brand I think) but with the huge heat wave in southern CA it works well.

6. jij88

jij88 New Member

Just picked up my 04 Prius custom sunshade today from Longo Toyota in El Monte, CA. It's made by Intro-Tech, part # TT-77, cost $32.95 and fits perfectly.
    John
    2004 Millenium Silver BC
    3550 miles / 51.4 mpg

7. charlieh

charlieh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Best product I have found is the Heatshield from http://www.canvasworks.com/main.html

Actually, my Toyota dealer carries them, but not for the Prius, so I went to the source.

I have purchased one for my '03 and my '04. They run about $30 and are absolutely perfect fits. They are foil covered foam core material that is kind of quilted so it's a bit stiffer. It rolls up for storage rather than folding. The sun visors support it when it is in place, but the long sloping windshield on the Prius makes it sag a bit. I plan to modify mine with a plastic rod in the center that I will glue or tape on to give some added support. In spite of this it's the best one I found. Also got a nice dasboard cover for the '03 from Dashmat with custom cut outs for the airbags and some nice detailing around the contours. Don't know if the harder plastic of the '04 needs the same kind of protection or not.

8. petteri

petteri New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've got the same product and it fits perfectly! I would highly recommend this product. So far it has worked well here in Miami!

Peter
    Miami, FL USA

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I was reading about that on the European Prius site the other day - I wonder if that's another "depends on where you buy it" deal.

10. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The window sticker on my car lists, "Solar Energy Absorbing Glass" among the Exterior items included on the car (HSEA). Is this LowE?
    A google search yeilds Toyota vehicles only. Is this a Proprietary item? Here is a quote on its use,"The use of High Solar Energy Absorbing (HSEA) glass at the front and rear, further enhances climate control and comfort in the vehicle."

11. cybele

cybele New Member

Cool, thanks!

I must be very lazy for not actually looking at my windows for the answers ...

I'm glad to hear that the glass made it. I'm hoping it'll mean that I don't get sunburned with the windows up.

12. Bob Osgood

Bob Osgood New Member

Thanx everybody!!! I went to my dealer and they carried the "Heatshield." Good call. It fits beautifully. Custom made for the 04... :p

13. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I ordered mine directly from Heatshield on the net last Thursday and it was delivered yesterday (Monday) for a total cost (including shipping) of 35.87. Don't know how that compares with what the dealers charge. It is really great quality and fits like a glove.

14. ifftster

ifftster New Member