1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Long Life Coolant vs Zerex Asian Long Life

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rick 432, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am changing the coolant in the inverter coolant of my 2007 Prius. I've read that Zerex is the same as SLLC (Toyota) on may sites. Well, this site tends to have be most accurate and up to date information so here I am! Any thoughts? Has anyone gone with Zerex and regretted it? If it is the exact same stuff why pay twice as much. Having written that, I don't want to screw up my Prius!
    As always, thanks :)

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It’s probably not the exact same but the formulation is very similar. I use the zerex stuff and have no regrets.

Toyota doesn’t make the stuff, they are made by companies like zerex

Rick 432 and SFO like this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    There is no antifreeze that's made for the automotive industry that is going to screw up any Prius out there so far today that being said I don't generally use the green stuff from prestone anymore the last 20 or so I use the Asian red from whoever is selling it for the better price the numbers on the coolant and all of the spec numbers and everything seem to be close enough that I haven't worried with it and I've been using the Asian red for I don't know 12 15 years. And just as an aside as far as I know in 50 years I have never had a coolant related failure. Or a cooling system related failure overheated an engine and blew it up all of that included so I think you're in pretty decent hands regardless coolant will be the least of your problems in automotive more than likely.

Rick 432 likes this.
  4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any aftermarket coolant would have to be significantly cheaper for me to even consider it.

Tom is not one for details, but any old coolant will not do. There is a reason there is green-colored coolant and red/pink-colored coolant – they are different formulations for different cooling system specs.

You look in the owner's manual for what coolant formulation spec you need to look out for, it must be this, must not be that, etc. You then have to try to match that to what the aftermarket manufacturer claims their formulation specification is. Not easy.

I started to go through all this hassle, but I should have just checked the price first. It turned out for me that any coolant that met the Toyota specs was not cheaper. So easy decision, I went with the OEM SLLC.

Lastly, if you do decide on some other coolant, drain and flush the existing coolant out completely. Mixing and matching can cause reactions that make a jello-like or foam-like substance that goes on to block up the cooling system channels.

In the words of the "Rainman", quality doesn't cost, it pays.

5. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, the Zerex "Asian" formula is very likely compatible with Toyota SLLC, as would be equivalents of other reputable brands. I would avoid mixing any other type of coolant of any brand with Toyota SLLC, though. Be sure it's p-HOAT, type.

The Asian coolant comes in two colors, reddish (for Toyota et. al.), and blueish (for certain other Asian brands of vehicles). Chemically they're the same except the dye colors, but using blue might lead to confusion and questions later, depending on who's looking at it.

Rick 432 likes this.
  6. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. I decided to just buy the recommended Toyota coolant. Yes, it is 2X the cost but I have a very low mileage car in good condition. Changing the inverter coolant so I don't want to screw it up. Thanks again.

7. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks very much

8. Rick 432

Rick 432 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks very much.

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We thank by hitting the LIKE button in the bottom right corner.

nicoj36 likes this.