1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super loud whine from engine bay for about 10 minutes, then went away...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drewbabich, Jan 23, 2014.

1. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday while on an 50 mile I had much more serious whine from the engine bay for about 10 minutes, that I think was from the serpentine belt. I wasn't driving, but my driver (my gf) called and I could certianly hear it on the phone. I could hear it in the cabin, then I could hear it from outside the car. She opened the hood and said it seemed to be coming from the passenger side down by the firewall, engine side. I could hear it while driving and while she was parked and idling.

I'm not familiar with the prius engine bay yet but that area is where the fan belt is i'm guessing if its like my other fwd cars.

It was cold out. She was driving about 55 mph. She had already driven 45 miles when it started. It continued to whine like that while parked and idling, and also while driving. She started and stopped the car and it would start when the car was started. I'm sure she had the heat on the whole time so i can't tell you if it quit when the engine cut out, but i bet it would have.

Then after about 10 minutes it stopped. It started a little bit at start up and then went away. She drove home 50 miles and didn't notice it anymore. I drove it last night in 12 degree city/suburban driving/ highway for 50 miles and never had it come back.

Anyone have any expereince with this? It was load. Like frighteningly loud. Loud like no customer will ever ride in your car if its happening. Only thing I could guess is its from a fan belt or one of the accessories, but almost all of the accessories are electrically driven right? I could buy some belt spray dressing and keep it in the trunk i suppose in case in happens again. I'm in the clear right now, but nervous about it randomly happening again with customers in the car.

This happened at the worst possible time. I lost a customer for a good airport taxi run that she had driven 50 miles to pick up. So sad. Customer rented a car instead of chancing breaking down on the way home on a 50 mile taxi ride in our prius.... and she won't need a ride back to the airport now!

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Any chance that the battery SOC was at 8 green bars and that this was just the engine spinning off the excess power? When I use "B" mode down very large hills the engine can get very loud.

Was the gf descending any mountains or very large hills prior to the event?

HaroldW likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Check the belt, the pump, and the belt tension roller with the belt slackened off to feel for any roughness in the bearings.
    Another possibility "but hopefully not" is the AC compressor. This is electrically driven and normally does make a whining noise "audible from outside the car", but if loud is a sign of failure. The speed of the compressor is variable depending on AC requirements. This would require extensive work to be carried out on the AC system including replacement of the compressor.

John (Britprius)

4. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is some info i was fearing as i've heard the ac compressors are one of the weaker points of these rugged vehicles.

This guy has a broken MFD (new one is in the mail). So the ac compressor is running when the heat is on at all times I think? You either got ac with heat or you got nothing by toggling the on/off buton on the wheel is how it currently works.

I can read the screen but its cracked and you can't operate it. So you have to operate it from the steering wheel. Its either on or off and you can only adjust the temp up or down. Its also stuck in french which makes me feel green as well as multicultural!

(no we were not coming off any hills it was straight easy high way cruising, maybe a little stop and go, then blamo WHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE! is all that could be heard. And it was loaaaad and scary. ) I hate ac compressors. They are a home mechanics worst nightmare.

I'll pull the belt and check the bearings hopefully its not the ac compressor.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I don't think any Prius has a belt-driven AC compressor. Just a water pump.

Does the noise seem to vary with engine speed?

Does the noise stop when you stop at a light (and the engine has stopped)?

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What about the possibility of it just being one of the radiator fans that's shot. They're thermostatically controlled aren't they?

Britprius likes this.
  7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Good call Uart hopefully that will be the case, but the only negative to this the OP did state it was cold at the time. My fans rarely come on in the UK climate.

John (Britprius)

8. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea it would be great if it was a fan, but at 15 degrees outside i doubt those are coming on.

So can anyone clear up info on how the heat/hvac works on these things. Its 15 degrees F out, i press 'on' on the steering wheel and the MFD says air conditiong on. Then I toggle the temp arrow up to MAX hot.

Is my ac compressor still running. And that is running off an independant motor right? If its something off the serpentine belt (which of course it may not be) it could only be from what wheels? The tensioner, dummy wheels, crank wheel, waterpump wheel, anything else?

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't really help your car's mfd is not functional. I believe these issues would be easier to address properly once you get the replacement installed. Right now, using just the steering controls, you are only going to temporary fixes that may not be all functional.

10. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The compressor works off the traction (HV) battery via a 3 phase variable frequency inverter (to alter speed of compressor) so it is not driven in any way directly off the engine. Nor does the engine need to be running. The compressor will be running if demisting is required (unless turned off each time on the MFD ) when the demister is turned on, and can be on (again through the MFD) to dehumidify the cabin even with heating on.
    The belt only drives the water pump and tension pulley, nothing else.
    The noise could be from one of the two radiator fans as these come on when the AC is on or if the engine coolant gets to hot.

John (Britprius)

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Forget the belt spray dressing.

Check the tightness of the serpentine drive belt. It powers the engine coolant pump and may be loose. Or it may need to be replaced since the outer surface can get glazed over due to wear. The outer surface turns the coolant pump pulley.

The spec is that when 22 lb of pressure is exerted at the center of the longest run of the belt, the belt should deflect only 0.4".

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sound problem you have may not be mechanical. I noticed a whine sound when I was traveling a stretch of highway for about 5 - 10 minutes where my tires would make a very loud hum/whine sound. It keeps going until the road surface changes and it goes away. Since this is a new car to you and you are not familiar with the sounds yet, it might be road noise.

13. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oh yea I want to add... The car is set at Defrost and can not be changed to floor or vent heat without a MFD replacement i think. Thats what the previous seller said.

So thats why i'm assuming the AC compressor is running when the heat is on for Dehumidification purposes.

Ok so you are telling me the radiator fans come on whenever the defrost is on?

The previous owner said she's been driving like this for a few years so I'm wondering if the car has been running the AC compressor and the fans A LOT more then normal. That could mean these are likely to fail sooner then cars with functioning MFD's....

It could not of been the tires cause this whinnig was screaming at her even when the car was parked and idling.

14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Do you have any service records that the belt and water pump had been replaced? I know the car has been serviced regularly but the previous owner really neglected to fix many of the issues you are having. Delayed maintenance can sometimes result in these failures/problems.

15. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes the rad fans come on when the AC is on to cool the condenser.

John (Britprius)

16. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have service records for breaks and things, but i don't have lifetime service records I'll look for them at the dealer.

17. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the car was serviced at the dealer, you can go to Toyota.com and sign up for the "owners" portal. You can put in your Vin# and get all the service records on the car (as long as it's done at the dealer). You can see what's been done and what hasn't been done. You can then proceed on servicing what's needed.

18. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Put a new MFD and is was EASY and its great to have.

The loud noise was coming back last night. First i hear a little rumbling for a few seconds which sounds like from the heat vents when I put the heat on, then a loud WHIIIIIIIIIIINE. Its frighteningly loud. I turn the heat off and it stops.

I toggle the heat on and off and it returns a few times. I give the heat a 5 minute break, turn it back on and it doesn't return for the final 15 miles of driving. So for now its a very intermitenant issue.

Is this likely the ac compressor going bad or the fans or waterpump? I have no clue. I have max heat selected and the ac/ is not on.

(the car is getting 40 to 52 mpg in sub freezing temp's right now)

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If the noise is associated with your turning the cabin ventilation system on, and the A/C compressor is turned off, then my guess is that the noise is being caused by the cabin blower motor. This is located behind the glove box on the passenger side of the instrument panel.

I suggest you get under the instrument panel, at the front passenger position, to see if the noise in fact is coming from the cabin blower motor. If so, there are several posts on PC regarding how to replace the cabin blower motor.

20. drewbabich

drewbabich Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    THAT HAS TO BE WHAT IT IS!!!!! Great info.

It sounds like its coming from inside the car in the glovebox. Sweet!

Thanks patrick.