1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Super Water Kills Bugs Dead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Sufferin' Prius Envy, May 27, 2005.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    This could be the greatest medical discovery since Penicillin!

Developed by Oculus Innovative Sciences in Petaluma, the super-oxygenated water is claimed to be as effective a disinfectant as chlorine bleach, but is harmless to people, animals and plants. If accidentally ingested by a child, the likely impact is a bad case of clean teeth.

Oculus said the solution, called Microcyn, may prove effective in the fight against superbugs, crossover viruses like bird flu and Ebola, and bioterrorism threats such as anthrax.

. . . makes short work of bacteria, viruses and even hard-to-kill spores.

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,67472,00.html

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    super oxygenated water? hmm is that related to dihydrogen monoxide?

or are you talking about peroxide?

3. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I love things that claim to kill viruses.

Send a tankerload to an AIDS clinic, and let us know what happens...

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm skeptical. They keep on avoiding saying what exactly makes this stuff so special.

Whatever, man.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:c26d29296d]Most people forget that we would die without the flora that lives in our gut and probably on our skin. You don't want to kill all the bugs, only the nasty ones. And virii aren't living and can't be killed; they usurp the reproductive mechanism of living cells, but you can only kill the cells, not the virii.

H[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]O + O = H[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]O[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]
    or for you sticklers
    2H[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]O + O[sup:c26d29296d]2[/sup:c26d29296d] = 2H[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]O[sub:c26d29296d]2[/sub:c26d29296d]

Hydrogen peroxide
    [/font:c26d29296d]

6. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hmm, well after looking at the company's website, it appears to be legit. They already have a product out for veterinary use and the product for humans is undergoing FDA approval. They're marketing it as a topical spray to aid in wound healing.

Of course, they really didn't go into specifics in terms of the chemistry.

7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:04c4efb66d]Yes, a mixture of 3% - 6% hydrogen peroxide in hydrogen dioxide is a great topical disinfectant. You can get it at the drugstore now and put it in a spray bottle if you want to.[/font:04c4efb66d]

8. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, yeah. But this stuff is better, and you have to get a prescription from your doctor and then pay the $30 copay. :wink:

The problem with hydrogen peroxide is that it has a tendency to oxidize your cells and damage them in addition to any microbes present. I think this product is claiming that it is completely harmless to humans. Again, knowing nothing of the chemistry of the product, I can't say whether it is true or not. I was just pointing out that the company doesn't appear to be a 'snake oil' type of operation.

9. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:e92f47aea4]Did Enron?

OK, they may be legit, but also see this Wired article.[/font:e92f47aea4]

10. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The body has its own system to rid itself of free radicals... wonder how that comes into play and whether it interferes with the mechanism?

And of course wounds will heal better if the infectious agent is gone....

11. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant\";p=\"93324)</div>
    Heh heh. Good point.

Interesting article. "Superorganism" is my favorite new word now.

I'm really curious about the chemistry of the super-duper-water now. I wonder if there are any clinical trials comparing its effectiveness against other disinfectants such as alcohol and H2O2.

12. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's not yet listed on clinicaltrials.gov

but they're pretty slow at updating. i guess we'll see...

13. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Injecting concentrations of H2O2 or ozone high enough to kill "bugs" will immediately attack the injectee as well; these simple oxidizers are completely non-specific.

People have been selling worthless-to-dangerous stuff like this for centuries. They always claim to cure an amazing range of conditions, probably to maximize their sales before they get shut down.

14. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    sorry i read the article and i see nothing "legit" about it. just a bunch of unsubstaniated statements made by the notoriously inaccurate media concerning a field that is notorious for sensational announcements that frequently fizzle into nothing.

15. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you know, your lymphocytes and erythrocytes are susceptible to being oxidized by this stuff, they fit the article's terribly worded criteria of a "single-celled organism." these cells are surrnounded not by other cells, but a fluid environment.

16. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, it gets better. Those of you interested in the "chemistry" of this stuff, visit the official website at http://www.oculusis.com/us/is/microcyn.html It's such a joke. They have a veterinary version of the product, and also claim to have the cure for cancer.

Well, what about the clinical pharmacology, guys? Oh, what's that? You don't know? Because it's horse manure? Aww. So much for the next miracle cure. :roll:

17. GreenLady

GreenLady Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee\";p=\"93419)</div>
    Hmmm, well so much for my optimism of this being a worthwhile product. Pharmaceutical company websites sometimes have a laymen's explanation of how their drug works. I obviously didn't delve very far into this company's website.

I guess next time I get a cut or a scrape I'll do something revolutionary like wash it with soap and water. :roll:

"Superorganism" is still my favorite new word. :D