1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Superbowl Pathetic GM commercial

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hill, Feb 4, 2007.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Flag waving, amber waves of grain, americana, and therefore GM pleades, "buy our cars" ... just because we're American (notwithstanding all their outsoursing, I suppose). How sad. Nothing about, "sorry we screwed up over the years and now we're ready to turn around". or "we just fired wagner" or we have a NEW fossle fuel free EV just released. No. No reason at all, really. Nothing like, "hey, Toyota factory workers (non-union) here in the U.S. just beat the pants off our worker's salaries, but we just implemented a plan to change all that". Nothing like that in their superbowl commercial. Was it just me? Or did I miss the warm & fuzzy point GM was trying to make. P.S. Last year I bought our daugher a Cavalier, as a last ditch attempt to support G.M. but she & I both regret it.

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I do not know... I thought the "our trucks are really manly, look at how we can pull two tons of steel up a ramp and then stop... but please don't notice our brakes locking up during the stop ohgodwhydidn'tweeditthatbitout" commercials from Toyota to be the most pathetic thing during the Superbowl..

Other than Rex Grossman's play, of course....

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD New Member

The commercials were disappointing. It really bothers me that the only commercials they air are huge gas hogs. Ford, Chevy, and now Toyota with the Tundra. I'm surprised there wasn't a Hummer or Nitro one in the mix. I did see the Honda one though. +1 for Honda selling fuel economy.

5. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the only good commercials came for Coke and Career Builder. All the rest were ordinary.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    *K-fed self-deprecating commercial was funny.
    *Loved the Doritos one where the guy driving the car makes eye contact w/ the girl, crashes, then she falls running to him.
    *Go Daddy....well, sex sells. They just ran it too often.

I couldn't care less either way about the car/truck commercials from GM or anyone else. You make trucks, you want to sell trucks, you need to advertise them.

7. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 08:59 AM) [snapback]385480[/snapback]</div>

I do not know...

I thought the Snickers one with the two auto mechanics and one candy bar was pretty damn funny.
    Bud light "Rock Paper Scissors" was funny.
    Liked the dalmation one except for the wink at the end, though I haven't a clue what the product was.

Watched 'em all online. Didn't see the game. I am one of those red-blooded Ameican males who didn't get the sports gene. Go figure.

Dan

8. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I know it's OT, but to continue the "love which commercial" thoughts:
    I hate the knuckle-tapping phenom that we've been plagued with the last few years. Every man in my company thinks it's cool. Thus, the one from Bud where that has been replaced by a face slap made me roll.

The next time someone tries to knuckle tap me, I'm giving them a slap across the face.

9. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Feb 4 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]385354[/snapback]</div>
    So let me ask you did you enjoy the testosterone overloaded Toyota Tundra commercials. "I'm all grown up now. I'm a big truck too".
    So let me get this straight, Toyota factory workers in the US are better paid than their Union Domestic Three couterparts. Even you don't believe that.

You bought a cavalier for your daughter because it was super cheap, you could at least admit what you really did?

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Commercials seem to get worse every year... I remember the great days back in the '90's fondly... the introduction of the bud frogs, the bud bowl, everything...

This year, There were a few great ones:
    - Snickers (OMG i started laughing so hard beer came out my nose)... i thought it was the start of a great commercial season.
    - Bud wedding - that auctioneer was great, and had everyone in stitches.
    - Carlos Mencia and Bud - "no speake engles"
    - bud rock papers scissors - "i have paper" "and i threw a rock"
    - bud face slaps - "dude, steve, this bump is out"
    - The Dalmatian parade commercial - it really drew you in (what was the product again?)
    - But he has bud light! "Whats the ax for?" "Bottle opener." "Hop in!"
    - Fedderline - it started out and i said oh god, but then he was in McDonalds...
    - Sierra Mist beard comb over... Tell me you didn't laugh at this one!
    - Check out girl "Clean up on register 6!"

and there were a few not so great ones:
    - All the movie commercials... please, thats not what i want to see!
    - The car commercials... enough with the Gas guzzlers! and do something cool like Honda's Rube Goldberg machine a few years ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkzr0naZnZ0)
    - Sierra mist karate... Wth? the beard comb over was great, and then this one made no sense! I kept waiting for the punchline... i'm still waiting...
    - Flomax... people kayaking, and i do love kayaking, just doesn't make a good commercial.
    - FedEx ground... i give them props for trying, it just wasn't funny.

11. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    At General Mediocrity, they are uninspired so it's not surprising that their commercials are uninspired as well. Considering how much money it costs for a commercial to air during the SuperBowl, it's pretty pathetic, absolutely.

12. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 5 2007, 09:21 AM) [snapback]385524[/snapback]</div>
    And Jack could you comment on the Tundra commercials for me. Did they inspire you?

13. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(malorn @ Feb 5 2007, 10:04 AM) [snapback]385514[/snapback]</div>
    The news report is here:

Last year was the first time that non-unionized workers at a foreign-owned assembly plant made more than members of the United Auto Workers union make on average in a year. The Detroit Free Press reveals in a very interesting article that Toyota paid out bonuses of $6,000 to $8,000 last year at its largest U.S. plant in Georgetown, KY. Combined with the base pay made by a non-union worker at the plant, that equates to $30/hour or $60,000/year based on a 2,000-hour work year. That is more than the $27/hour or $54,000 a UAW member made on average last year. Union workers, or course, hardly received any profit sharing bonuses last year due to the poor overall performance of the domestic automakers.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Funny that no one is mentioning the GM commerical with the robot having a bad dream.

That is the core commerical that GM hopes will be the start of a successful campaign in convincing people that GM manufactures reliable vehicles. I'm afraid that decades of garbage won't disappear that quickly ..

I asked my wife and two teenagers to watch the commercial closely when it came on. My daughter in particular thought it was *very* cute, but then she loves puppies. Not a one of them caught the message GM was shooting for though; they heard GM begging people to buy the product, to keep the workers employed.

I already knew the intended messaage was that GM has an extreme focus on quality, but through my admittedly anti-GM eyes I saw the worker taking the fall for upper management stupidity. Just from a technical/marketing standpoint, I thought it was super, except for one nasty flaw: the viewer had to be paying close attention the first few seconds of the commerical to see the robot make the work error, or there was NO chance of following the story as GM intended. And without that, the story boomerangs to GM dumping their best workers on a whim, or at best GM workers paranoid of job loss.

15. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Feb 5 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]385528[/snapback]</div>
    I didn't get that one either, it seemed pretty freaky that the robot was about to commit suicide. Other than the Snicker's kiss, not a lot really stood out compared to past years, other than the careerbuilder jungle-office bits.

16. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 5 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]385527[/snapback]</div>
    This is one plant that toyota released data on and does not include overtime. Think maybe this article came from a Toyota press release? We sell cars to plant workers all the time making in excess of $100,000 plus full health insurance, plus full retirement.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Feb 5 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]385528[/snapback]</div>
    I just re-watched it...and I still don't know what the message is supposed to be. They 'say' they're obscessed with quality so I guess that's the message, but I just don't get that from the other 28 seconds of the commercial.

18. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]385549[/snapback]</div>
    The local news people actually did some stories on GM's robot ad campaign and all that I can remember is pictures of a robot looking at condos for sale and I'm thinking 'a robot in the market for a condo? Wth?' What vexes the advertisers is that even when their commercials are entertaining (Jimmy Dean's commercials of the sun as a regular guy who's coworkers are the moon (no thanks, I'm full) and a cloud are hilarious) they don't make the consumer go out and buy their products. GM has a reputation that actually repels a lot of consumers and their products are mediocre so it's difficult to imagine an ad campaign for them that would be effective.

Oh, wait, how about one that spoofs the beginning of National Lampoon's Vacation where a family buys a new GM car and the door falls off when dad has the keys for the first time? You know, poking fun at themselves and playing to their strengths :) The tag line would be "Our cars are lousy and so are the dealerships but at least we're consistent"

19. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Feb 5 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]385549[/snapback]</div>

The message I got was "We're so committed to quality that even our robots can't sleep at night." It was the robot's worst nightmare.

Thought it was a little disturbing, but it was well executed.

Dan

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Feb 5 2007, 12:59 PM) [snapback]385572[/snapback]</div>
    Now that IS funny :lol: