1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supercar Project

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by donee, Feb 24, 2007.

1. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I find it rather troubling that the name of the project was never mentioned...

PNGV = Partnership for a Next Generation of Vehicle

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Feb 24 2007, 08:01 AM) [snapback]395800[/snapback]</div>
    From the article:
    Isn't that about the mileage that the 2009 Prius is supposed to get? Or pretty darn close? I guess Toyota beat them to it. :)

4. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Did anyone take a close look at the GM car?

Three supercars.

The GM car has only half the range of the others and weighs the most. But it does get a *little* more mpg. And it sounds a lot like the Volt they're proposing. It's also the only one with back wheel skirts. Which I supsect the Volt won't have and the mileage will drop as a result. Making the Ford and Chrysler equal but more, with more range.

Oh, and they're all diesel/electric hybrids.

The Ford Prodigy could have been the Prius. If they could have pushed it and marketed it, it would be the competition to the Prius. So sorry, no tears for Ford.

Can anyone tell me that American car buyers really demand that extra 2.5 seconds 0-60? Really? We absolutely have to have it?

I don't feel any sluggishness in my Prius. Opposite in fact.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Donee,
    I award you all my points and the points of others.

I have been looking for that article for several months now. For some reason, I have been unable to find it. I searched Google, the Trib, everywhere.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou.
    Now I can write it to PDF for long-term reference and sharing.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Feb 24 2007, 12:09 PM) [snapback]395916[/snapback]</div>
    Except that Fords break down every time someone in China blows his nose and Toyotas last a quarter of a million miles.

7. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whatever happened to Lincoln's concept of a new freedom and equality? Have we completely forgotten 'government of the people, by the people, for the people'? Oh, right, that was last millennium. Forget people and fuel standards. A toast to profits!

8. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Feb 24 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]395973[/snapback]</div>
    Well, yeah. But people ignore that stuff to 'buy American'. Those people that wouldn't buy a Prius because it's Japanese might have bought the Ford. And they wouldn't know the difference. They take their regular cars in for repair constantly, why should this one be any different?

What I'm saying it that all three could have had gas/electric hybrids of some sort on the market when Toyota introduced the Prius or at least before the 2004 redesign hit the fan. Instead of playing catch-up now and complaining and whining...they *could* have been competitive.

Instead they backed the wrong horse, they made the wrong decision, and they took way too long to recognize it and act on it. Lost opportunity, lost market share, lost publicity. It will take much more effort and money to "catch-up" than it would have to have moved forward at the time. Because now the name "hybrid" has almost become synonymous with Toyota.

Prius=iPod.

And look at how the other players are trying to catch up to Apple.

And when their hybrids do hit the market, they'll all be compared with the Toyota models.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    great article. i posted a link to it two years ago. really sucks how the big three scammed us. that is why i am sorta glad to see them suffer. first its the Supercar fund, then its the EV 1, the list goes on and on.