1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supercar

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 25, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had this article bookmarked on a previous computer and lost it. Thinking about it recently, I tried to find it but to no avail. So I did what anyone would do and I wrote to the author, Sam Roe, asking him how I can find it. he was kind enough to provide the following link.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/special...7249692.special

Here's the intro:
    On a crisp fall morning in 1993, President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore walked side by side out of the West Wing of the White House, past the Rose Garden, and onto a small stage on the South Lawn. There, they greeted three of the most powerful business leaders in the world: the chief executive officers of Ford, General Motors and Chrysler.

Before dozens of dignitaries, the president announced that America was embarking on a technological venture as ambitious as any the nation had ever attempted.

Over the next 10 years, the U.S. government and the American auto industry would combine the full weight of their resources—billions of dollars, the best scientific minds and previously secret Cold War technologies—to build an invention simple in concept yet critical in importance: a family car that achieved 80 miles per gallon.

This “Supercar” not only would be a tremendous boon to the environment, reducing pollution and slowing global warming, but it also would cut the nation’s reliance on oil imports from the volatile Middle East and inject new life into a stagnating domestic auto industry.

In short, Supercar would make America a cleaner, safer and more prosperous place in which to live. “We do not have the choice to do nothing,” Clinton told the crowd.

But nine years after it was born in pomp and splendor, Supercar is dead.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is a sad, sad story.

Tom

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The program was a smashing success, from a certain point of view. It transferred a billion tax dollars to the automakers-formerly-known-as the Big Three, and got the gummint and the treehuggers off their backs for a while.

4. alexstarfire

alexstarfire New Member

Is it even a surprise that it failed?

5. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Give me 1.5 Billion dollars, and I'll give you your supercar. I'm pretty sure that given the funds, without interference from any politicians, I can make exponentially more progress than what we've seen so far.....

6. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 25 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]484851[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree. For anywhere from $4000 to $20000, a lot of individuals and organizations are making their own supercars. However, being practical they call them PHEVs. Be nice to know where the money actually went.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've often said that the two good things that came from the Supercar program were the Honda Insight and the Toyota Prius.