1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supercharge your Prius with Marvel Mystery Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JC91006, Aug 29, 2014.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The title is misleading but I've added MMO to 3 tank fulls of gas and right now it feels like it has a turbo in it. The amount of torque is amazing compared to before. It must be the cleaning agents in there that helped clean out the system. Running the 4th tank without the stuff now and it's still as powerful. The gas I use is 87 octane from Samsclub....nothing special!

TheLastMojojomo and SFO like this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much do you add?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I bought the 32oz big bottle for around $5 at Walmart. Add 4oz per 10 gallons....I do 4oz per fillup.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Don't you only put in about 8 or 9 gallons at fill up though?

SCH-I535

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Our tank holds 12.9 gallons. It'll all even out after 3 tanks. It's not scientific lol, won't hurt the car if there is too little or slightly too much

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i fillup at the beep and pump a hair over 8 gallons. i guess i could go with 3.5 oz., will you do this all the time?

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had some left over from my oil experiment. I'm quite amazed at how responsive it is now. I will do this every few fillups in between

There are markings on the mmo bottle separated by 4 ounces.... which is a tiny amount diluted into 12 gallons

8. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So, this thread has been asleep for 5 years, but I just added some MMO to my oil as I changed it and put some that was left over into my gas tank. I am a little worried about "diluting" my Mobile 1 oil with MMO, but I really want to reduce my oil consumption. Was wondering if any one had some positive results from regular use of MMO. I put about 24 oz of MMO into the crank case and 4 oz of MMO into the gas tank as I filled up.

I am thinking of changing the oil earlier than usual because I am worried MMO may reduce lubricating properties of oil. Am I incorrect in assuming this? Not too worried about 4 oz of MMO per 11 gallons of gas so much, but oil is a bit scary if it will be compromised.

9. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  10. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why what?

11. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If this had any positive value and no risk of damage, Toyota would recommend it.

12. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You mean like they recommend Prolong systems?

SFO and Skibob like this.
  13. Moses Bruh

Moses Bruh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    its only meant for adding into ur gas tank is it not? thats where the cleaning happens as it goes through the fuel system, the engine oil should only be engine oil?

krmcg likes this.
  14. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you ever actually looked at a bottle of marvel mystery oil? Where does it say it’s for gasoline only? The directions for use show rate for “In fuel, oil, 4-cycle, 2-cycle”

Raytheeagle likes this.
  15. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No, it says right on the bottle that it’s meant for both the tank and the crank case.

Skibob likes this.
  16. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    MMO in the fuel (not oil) also has the tendency of raising compression and sealing piston rings, I ran a failed Buick 3800 with NC in cylinder 2 using mmo for over 100,000 miles, would stall at idle without it

Skibob likes this.
  17. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    If your engine is failing Toyota would recommend replacement, not covering up the problem so you can delay replacement.
    Correct?

MMO is snake oil that covers up failing engine problems .

Aka if your engine has a blown head gasket that costs more to replace then getting a new engine and barely runs and stalls.
    MMO can be added and the engine will (for a time) run normally with the blown gasket allowing you to run it into the ground before replacement

I’ve used it for that purpose many times and it allowed me to get many more years out of broken equipment I would have otherwise just scrapped.

In other words, Mmo really isn’t something you would use on a good running car

18. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct to assume this, your oil will darken from cleaning out crud and motor will get noisy faster, your oil use may initially increase before stabilizing.

SO ADDING MMO TO OIL WILL NOT REDUCE CONSUMPTION OF OIL UNTIL AFTER USE!

I personally use MMO in the gas only, filling your cylinders or crank with it is normally as a soak to clean out gunk followed by a short OCI before filling with your normal oil.
    If rings are stuck it “may” release them but I’ve never used it for that purpose because too much cleaning may cause other problems.

MMO in fuel can be done continuously and tends to raise compression in bad cylinders allowing you to drive with fewer startup issues on a failed engine.

In other words if your engine is nearing the scrap heap MMO can make the drivability much more pleasant until the cylinders get so scored you break a crank or bend a valve. (Talking if you are using it to drive with a bad head gasket)

I guess do your clean with a short OCI, monitor oil levels daily then keep using it in your fuel and report back any results

#18 Rmay635703, May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
  19. VFerdman

VFerdman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car is not falling apart and is not broken in any way. It just eats about a quart of oil every 2,500 miles or so. It was eating more than double that before I switched to Mobile 1 High Mileage (M1HM) oil. I am really just experimenting with trying to get the oil consumption lower than what it is now.

I am not loosing sleep over it. Most of the cars I have owned (and I have owned over a dozen) used some amount of oil. I bought a brand new Volvo S70 in 1998 and it used almost a quart/1K miles from the beginning. My complaints to the dealer were met with "it's not abnormal". Their definition of abnormal (where they have to do something about it) was something like a quart every 500 miles or something. Anyway, I drove that car for 20 years and over 200K miles and not a thing was wrong with it in that period engine-wise. The engine ran like a clock and kept using that quart/1K miles till the end. I have similar anecdotes for many other cars I have owned. The S70 was a car that I owned from beginning to end, though, which was unique in my case. So I am not too terribly worried about my Prius oil consumption, but I would like to decrease it if I can. Switching to high mileage oil definitely made a big difference. Now I want to see if this MMO really Magic or BS. It's worth an experiment to me as I do not think I can do much harm in say 1K miles I am going to run the MMO in the oil. I will then change the oil and see what happens. Seems Toyota has an issue with the pistons in these engines (and the following 1.8L ones as well), but at 210K miles my '07 still drives like new, so I can't really get too upset.

SFO and Rmay635703 like this.
  20. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Will be interesting to see your results.

VFerdman likes this.