1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supercharged Prius in the future?

Discussion in 'Lexus Hybrids and EVs' started by priushippie, Jul 4, 2011.

1. priushippie

priushippie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I saw this I could only think how I would like this to be installed on my Prius! 300 horses and better mpg! wow! :D

2. bzyrice

bzyrice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    300hp with 5lbs of boost? That seems crazy.. Arent the ct 200s around 130hp? With 5 lbs of boost he more then doubled the hp? If that is possible.. I want this too.. lol ..

3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    5 lbs of boost on that engine won't get you close to 300 hp.

I'll let someone else chime in about the problems MG1 and MG2 would experience trying to balance that much ICE power.

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Or some of what he was smoking.:D

1 person likes this.
  5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally implausible. Superchargers generally do not increase efficiency and 5psi is a joke even with roots or screwchargers. :) Because modified roots or screwchargers produce boost at such a low rpm you will decrease fuel efficiency due to the added fuel required. I've had every style of supercharger and two different turbocharger designs. I'd never consider putting one on a Prius.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How do you burn more fuel and air mixture and increase MPG?

7. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not unreasonable to get 300 HP out of a supercharged 1.8 liter engine. Notice that he said "at the crank", not "at the rear wheels"

Even if he's only getting 200 HP at the crank, my concern would be how long the transaxle would last handling that kind of power. An interesting experiment, but it really needs a stronger transmission to handle that much power.

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is completely unreasonable to do with 5 lbs of boost on a Prius engine on this planet.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The claims were completely bogus, but you can sometimes modify an engine for some more power and improve the fuel economy at the same time as long as you don't use the extra power.

10. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this has been proven to work already. more power with the ICE means a faster balance and less work from the electric motors.. so instead of the ICE catching up all the time, it's being primarily used while still charging the batteries... so in the end the electric side torques out all the time better since it's more full all the time (requiring less effort to assist the ICE)

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like a Eaton M-62 blower. There is a point on a vehicle where extra torque & horsepower will help the vehicle get higher gas mileage as the motor doesn't have to work as hard as a lower powered motor. Go past that point and you end up with a super quick vehicle with lower gas mileage. I run a M-62 on a 2 liter that spins 7400 rpm at ~16 psi (3" pulley) and it can get about ~20 mpg and produce almost 260hp at the wheels. ZZP setup my car a few years back :)

Mike

12. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

in any case, this was the show car that didnt work... yet... guy posted on clublexus how they were going to finish it, it will also get shot of nitro to get those numbers.

it is really pointless exercise.

13. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 1.5 liter Gen2 Prius block gets about half the horsepower of the same block in other Toyota vehicles. That's just part of the equation for Atkinson cycle engines. The intake/exhaust manifolds in a Prius/Lexus hybrid are quite restricted by performance vehicle standards. So if you let the block breathe, and stuff an extra 5 psi into it, it's not unreasonable to get 3 or 4 times the horsepower out of the same block. I doubt that it still qualifies as an Atkinson cycle engine at that point. And it's certainly not going to be getting 44 mpg while at full boost. Add in the power of the electric motor and 300 HP seems entirely possible.

I remember reading about getting 600-800 HP out of 2.0 liter blocks in full race trim. Monster tuned manifolds, monster valves, 9000 rpm, exotic fuel. 100 mile engine life (or one race).

This particular car is clearly for show. And the guy talking is a presenter, not the guy who designed the modifications. I doubt that he really understands the talking points that he raises. There is basically not enough data presented to validate all of his points in the short video.

But the car looks really neat. It certainly has more power than the stock version. Most people who will be awed by it couldn't afford the $30,000 stock version, let alone this $60,000 custom. But it will certainly improve the image of hybrids among the hot rod crowd.

14. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Who wants to be the Guinea pig and try a 100 shot of juice on their Prius? :rip:

Imagine dustin off some ricer at the next stoplight :bolt: Police officer pulls you over down the road. You say common officer, it's a Prius, it can't be fast :loco:

Mike

15. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  16. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mike, that guy is getting 300 horsepower in a 1.8 liter engine at 5psi. Sounds like you need to take few hits on a crack pipe if you are going to match his work.:D

17. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's the final part
    Browser Warning

Thanks for the links Jimbo, I hadn't seen that website before. There is lots of interesting stuff there.

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, 300hp with only 5 psi sounds like BS. It takes about 16 psi to get a 2 liter Ecotec to 300 crank HP and that is running it at 7400 RPM, not the <6k the Prius motor spins. But, is it plausible to get 300 crank HP with both hybrid and ICE on the Prius motor? IDK, need someone to do the low buck test with juice :car: and see if it stays together or goes kaboom :rip: Then if that holds up, spend the big $$$ on a M-62 and do a whole hell of a lot of machining parts to make it bolt together. Then there is the posi issue, how to keep one tiny tire from going up in smoke while the car sits still.

My car will still rip the tires loose in the first 3 gears but it has a very stout posi so with my right foot traction control :p it hauls some booty off the line :)

Has anyone ever put their Prius in service mode, I believe it is called, and really given it hell to see if the tranny doesn't spit out tiny parts all over the pavement? :cool:

Mike

19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    That is a related 5 part article on Turbocharging a Hybrid he did after being frustrated by Supercharging noise.

20. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that was interesting reading how the computers manage the torque & horsepower levels. If a guy could get into the software, maybe or likely higher gains could be obtained. Interesting.

Mike