1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SuperSize ME

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by XravenX, Jun 18, 2004.

1. XravenX

XravenX New Member

I just saw this docu-movie wednesday June 16th. It ROCKED! A perfect companion to "Fast Food Nation". I was wondering if anyone else had seen it and what they thought about it.

Quick rundown for those who have not seen it.
    A guy desides to put the claim that "McDonalds can be part of a nutritious diet". So he sets out to eat at McD for 30 days all 3 meals. He can't eat anything not purchased at McD. He has to eat everything on the menu at least once and he has to get SuperSized meals when they are offered.

He also can't do an exercise plan. He is limited to 5000 steps in a day. The typical amount for the average american.

Before he does this he goes to 3 doctors to get a check up and he is in perfect health. The all tell him to expect a rise in Trans Fat, Cholestoral, and weight gain.

During the course of the experiment he developes server liver damage, he gains 25 pounds his cholestroal shoots up to 230 (it had been 170).

The thing I found most interesting and desterbing was the children who eat crappy meals and only get 45 mins of PE a week.

It really made me compare the SUV generation to the Prius Generation. Think about it. SUVs are fuel consumers that go way over board for very little gain. Prius Gens are worried about saving fuel, the enviroment, and lower consumption.

I would love to do a study to find out the health status of Prius Drivers VS. SUV drivers. I am almost willing to bet money that the SUV drivers are also in poor health (On average).

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :Wth:

It seems to me it says McD can be part of a nutritious diet. It doesn't say that eating McD 3x/day for a month is healthy.

Hell, if you eat only rice 3x/day for a month that's not healthy either, you leave out essential amino acids. Pick a food that doesn't do that....

Yea, it's sick when morbidly obese people take their families and practically live off of junk food creating generation of fat poorly nourished kids. But what a completely ridiculous pointless experiement.

I'm not saying that the movie may not have some redeeming value as it sounds like it does more than just show this guy eating, but it doesn't take a genious to figure out that eating only McD for a month isn't a good thing.

3. XravenX

XravenX New Member

the 3 squares for a month idea came for the McD lawsuit where the judge asked the Platiffs to prove the McD intended people to eat at their resturants for all their meals. He was just showing what would happen if someone did that.

He point wasn't that eating McD for a month is bad his point was that eating bad for reguarlly was bad. In one month he consumed the amount of junk food that Nutritionist recommend he consume in 8 years.

Plus he commenting on how people eat Fast Food 1-2 times a week and some average 3-4 times a week.

4. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saw him on Daily Show the other night - funny guy. He's burned off all the weight from the movie already.

Funny how McDonald's dropped their Super-Sizing the week after Supersize ME was shown at Cannes (I think it was Cannes). Their entire ad campaign has changed now, and a large portion of that is because of this movie and the filmmaker.

5. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, I don't think McDonald's will admit that the elimination of super-sizing has anything to do with the movie. I saw the movie at the SXSW film festival in Austin in March (I don't think it had distribution at that point), and there was a Q&A with the director afterwards. FYI, at that point he still hadn't managed to lose the last 5 lbs. Anyhow, it was a great movie. And I thought it was pretty funny that his girlfriend is a vegan chef.

6. XravenX

XravenX New Member

At the end they had an update on it. The GMA guy is no longer there. McD is offering the Healthy Adult Happy Meal. He lost the last 4 1/2 pounds but it took him 9 months to do it. I thought it was impressive that he lost the 20 pounds in 5 months. 1 lb a week like doctors advise.

I really hope the DVD comes out cause this one is definitely going into the collection.

7. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If I didn't have to drive to Atlanta or Raleigh to see it, I'd have already seen it.

8. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

I originally didn't plan on seeing the movie, since it seemed pretty disgusting watching someone eat McDonalds for an hour or two. But then, I saw him on The Daily Show too, and he was pretty funny. For some reason, the doctors telling him "you must stop doing this right now, or you're going to die" with 9 days to go, was just hilarious. I must be a very bad person.

Here's the link, if anyone wants to watch his interview with Jon Stewart. Hi-larious:
    http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/ds/v...eos_celeb.jhtml

9. jchu

jchu New Member

One of the important conditions of the "study" conducted in Supersize Me was the activity restriction. Though realistic, and real world USA, it does point up the other half of the equation. Ultimately, it is a simple issue of calories in versus calories out. There is a high degree of commonality between the vast majority of the diet programs out there (such as Jennie Craig, South Beach, Weight Watchers, etc.). Physical Activity is also incredibly important. The 10,000 steps a day recommendation comes from a physician researcher at the University of Colorado Medical School at Denver, who feels that too much emphasis is put on diet and not enough on physical activity. Bottom line all diets will work as long as the dieter is restricting calories. And yes, even :pukeright: Atkin's :pukeleft: (my opinion, (Sorry, Dianne though I am glad it is working for you) ) restricts calories; he was just sneakier about it by slowing down stomach emptying and food transit through the gut with all that fat.

I heard that there is another guy who set out to provide a counter demonstration to Supersize Me. Ate the same diet but added an exercise program that consisted of both Aerobic and Weight Lifting components on a daily basis and despite eating 4500 calories worth of McDonald a day, over his 30 day period, lost 8 pounds and had drops in his Cholesterol and Blood Pressure. Once again it is Calories Adsorbed vs. Calories Burned.

Do I think McDonald's is particularly healthy, NO. But I don't want people to ignore the other half of the picture. As a family doc. I can't help but be passionate about this.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Jon

10. eg239

eg239 New Member

In defense of the fast food industry, and to beat a dead topic:

The summer after my sophomore year of high school sucked. At the time I hadn't been eating very well (Twinkies for breakfast and lunch, and little chocolate donuts for dinner), and it was starting to show. I was about to take my driver's licensing test and needed money to pay for that and a car and insurance. There wasn't much near where I lived and my mother adimently refused to drive me anywhere for free (and since I was working to pay for my car it would be silly to hand my check over to her for gas). Since I had worked nearly everywhere in the minimall about a mile away from my house, I was left with two options; a dry cleaner's (which was figuratively and nearly literally a sweatshop) and McDonald's.

The sweatshop wouldn't hire me because I spoke too much English. My last resort was McDonald's. With my employee discount I was able to eat a relatively balanced meal (wormburger, fries, water) and since I had to walk everywhere and stand behind the counter for hours at a time, I was able to work off some of the extra pudge from my crappy junk food diet.

The moral of the story is, it's completely possible to eat fast food and maintain a relatively healthy lifestyle. "Everything in moderation"

I think that a major part of the obesity problem in the US today is the whole marketing-to-kids thing. (there's a lot of sidetracking here, but I think it'll prove a point-- bear with me please.) In the past children were much less sedentary than they are today-- the advent of electronic entertainment has pretty much closed off the outdoors for a lot of them. When the Happy Meal was introduced in 1979, Americans seemed to be settling into this incredibly lazy lifestyle revolving around the idiot box.

Now here's the science-- every half-hour of television programming contains between six and ten minutes of advertising. That's between twelve and twenty 30-second spots, and a multitude of them are for food. And of course if a child sees an ad for the cool new Happy Meal toy they're going to whine and moan until Mummy takes them down for it. They go home, sit in front of the TV, wolf down their burgers/ fries / lard cakes and everything is sweetness and light until the next happy meal toy comes out. And these days, bigger is better. Instead of a single cheeseburger, you can get a double cheeseburger in your Happy Meal. You can get six nuggets instead of four. Do they have a twenty-nugget happy meal yet? (My head is spinning just thinking of how many Happy Meals one would have had to consume to collect all those Beanie Babies they were offering...) Fast food becomes a comfort food. Even the most active children slow down and exercise less; things like homework and jobs take up the time where they would have gone outside and played all afternoon, thereby burning off any of the excess calories they would have consumed during the day. Unfortunately many people don't grow out of fast food; its no longer just a comfort but a convienence as well. I will admit to stopping at drive-thrus probably hundreds of times because it was just easier than preparing a meal-- or even getting out of the car. Short lunch breaks, spoiled children, and tight soccer-mom schedules are the lifeblood of the fast food industry.

While I agree that fast food can be detrimental to someone's health, Supersize Me blows this idea way out of proportion. It should be common sense that if you eat 1700-calorie fat-laden meals three times daily (and nothing else), you will suffer the consequences. And of course walking only 5000 steps a day will not help anyone keep that weight off.

(Side note: I would be interested to know if this 5000 steps includes other activities such as running or dancing; I also think it noteworthy that there are other avenues of excercising, like that Nordic-Trak thing, or riding a bicycle, or lifting weights.)

Frankly, the blame in this "epedemic" belongs to nobody but the consumer themselves. How could anyone be so naive to think that just because a part of a Big Mac is green, then it is good for you? McDonalds, Burger King, whoever-- they are simply providing a product and a service. Are we blaming gas companies and Helene Curtis or even Rubbermaid for selling a product that pollutes the environment? ... then why should we bother laying blame on someone else for our lack of self-restraint? I guess I don't get it.

My $.02. Do I get a toy with that?

11. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Yeah, I remember always wanting to go to McDonalds for a Happy Meal, way back when. But my mom did something very interesting when I asked to go. She said "no." Alot. I think that's called "parenting," but I could be wrong. I remember wanting a lot of junk when I was a kid, and receiving very little of it, not because we couldn't afford it, but because my mom (and sometimes my dad) thought it was bad for my sister and I. Once again, the word "parenting" comes to mind.

Consequently, I have lots of trouble gaining weight. I eat and I eat, but I just can't seem to put on any pounds. woe is me : ) (let the lynching commence)

Also, I happen to love getting 20 McNuggets. Its almost a perfectly filling meal. No Coke/fries though, that stuff'll rot your teeth and kill you : )

12. eg239

eg239 New Member

Notice that they don't give out honey with their nuggets anymore, yet they give out caramel with apple slices. Gotta love the way they're playing health police now.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This'll show my age, but I saw my first McDonalds, maybe a half a mile from where I lived, about a month after becoming a vegetarian. Consequently, I've never eaten in a McD's in my life!

Before McDonalds, there were independently-owned neighborhood hamburger stands. Those disappeared from my neighborhood within a few years of the rise of McD's. Capitalism Unlimited. Big dog eats little dog. Self-employed businessmen put out of business, and in their place, dead-end minimum-wage no-benefits jobs.

Clint never advertised on TV. He never used clever advertising to goad little kids into terrorizing their parents into taking them out for junk food. He just served a generous portion of good-quality meat, piled THICK with tomato and lettuce and onion.

And the moral is that clever advertising counts for a lot more than quality food.

14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nah, I'm not even that pessimistic. I still seek out the best burgers I can find (anyone had a Port of Call Burger in New Orleans?). I do eat at McD's, but there's a huge difference and you a burger place just has to set itself apart. I believe there's still room for the small custom shops despite many being pushed out by Wally World. But they must adapt to the new world, and that is not easy as many of the smaller mom & pop places got comfortable with their lot and adjusting that radically is not easy.

I do know where to get a good burger in my hometown, and once in a while McD's just won't do.

15. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the guy in the movie walked farther than the average american walks every day and walked that distance purposefully.

supposedly, we all walk about 2.5 miles a day. (although i know several people who brings that average down) so he walked 3 miles a day.

16. betshsu

betshsu Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, I think (as a New Yorker), in his normal lifestyle, he walked more than the average American. As part of the SuperSize Me experiment, he limited his physical activity to match the average American, so he carried a pedometer to limit the number of steps he walked. I think that's pretty key, that he limited his physical activity to match a typical American, because everyone has made really good points that physical exercise is important in a healthy lifestyle, no matter what you eat.

17. Batavier

Batavier Member

I hardly ever eat at McD's, and if I do all I buy is a milk shake, they're not bad. Never eat their hamburgers and sometimes one or two fries: my GF seems to be fond of McD's, especially the McDrive. But I don't think we visit McD's more than 6 times a year, probably less. We like to cook our own meals or eat at real restaurants.

As for the movie, pointless experiment IMO, we all know that McD's food isn't healthy, at least not when you only eat at McD's. Maybe it helped his court case, but still I think it's a bit drastic. :mrgreen:
    It's like jchu said, it's all about balance between how much calories you eat and how much calories you 'burn'.

18. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree... i eat fast food waaaay more than i should, (BUT never in my car!!) but i also am a member of a gym that i go to 3-6 times a week. and on days im not at the gym, i bike a lot. in fact, before i got my car, my bike was my main mode of transportation (weather permitting... I DO NOT ride in the rain) since my F150 gets sucky gas mileage. i parked it when i realized that $20 didnt even give me half of one tank of gas (and i have TWO TANKS!!)

i will admit, since ive gotten the car though, i almost have to force myself to ride my bike now. which is even more tragic since now my area has moved into the summer time where the weather is very good here nearly all the time. (Makes up for the winter i guess)

but anyway, (I'm rambling) i am in very good shape and i attribute that to the bike and the gym. i started this exercise program in the last year and the differences are like night and day. i cant begin to tell you how many nagging medical problems just disappeared out of my life. so eat what ya want because as long as you are active, you can overcome.

with that said, i dont eat at McDonalds. been there about 4 times in the past 2 years. However, when it comes to Dominos, Taco Bell, Jack in the Box and Quiznos, ive eaten those places at least 50-100 times each in the past few years.

19. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where you're at - but in Orange County, CA - I still get honey with my McNuggets :) It's pure honey, not "honey sauce" like some FF resturants provide. And it beats the processed "Sweet and Sour" sauce they have which we're not sure if you're getting apricot or peach solids... :roll:

20. Sun__Tzu

Sun__Tzu New Member

Oh man, I really didn't need to hear that last part. My McDonalds meals always consist of 20 McNuggets and 4 containers of Sweet and Sour (which they make you pour yourself now, cheapskates). Now I'm gonna have to spend the rest of the night trying to forget that fact. Thanks alot : )
    At this point, I should be focusing on what I use to think Sweet and Sour sauce was made of. But now I realize that I haven't the slightest idea, and never thought about it. ah, for simpler, more ignorant times