1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Superwhite bumper mismatch again with photo

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sas0611, Sep 25, 2008.

1. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know I posted previously about the seemingly mismatched bumper colors on my 08' superwhite but it's beginning to bug me more and more. This time I've included a picture taken on a cloudy day for your kind inspection. The color difference seems less obvious on sunny days but I have included this photo taken on a cloudy day because it is more obvious in these lighting conditions. The rear bumper in this photo looks worse than the front but they are about the same in color. I would appreciate hearing your impressions about the image. I'd like to know if you think I'm being overly picky or 'if this was your new prius would it bother you enough to want the dealer to correct it'. I'd especially like to hear from other Superwhite owners to hear if their vehicles look similar to mine with respect to this 'problem'.

Thanks in advance !

Attached Files:

2. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    That is odd. It does look a shade darker than the rest of the car. I take it you bought the car new? I wouldn't think the dealer could sell it to you if it had body work done without telling you, but maybe they did. I would contact the dealership, or the sales person you bought it from and ask them. If you have a chance, take some more pictures, maybe up close and different angles.

3. Dozzer

Dozzer Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I bought a new car like that it'd go straight back to the dealer!
    They are called colour coded bumpers for a reason...

4. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not just your Prius, I did see other White cars (Camry, Ford Taurus, even Honda Accord) have such color mismatching phenomenon too. It looks like the White-Color Bumpers will have a shade darker compare to its body over time (due to weathering or sun-baking).

I wonder if it is the 'Flex-Agent' which usually used on plastic bumper to make paint more flexible (not cracking easier) causes the White color to oxidize (yellowing) more quickly.

5. Sgt Tip

Sgt Tip New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There is also a thing called "IN TRANSIT REPAIR" . If the vehicle received some damage when it was in transit from the ship to the depot it could be repaired. The dealership would not be notified since the car is still owned by Toyota and does not have to be disclosed to the dealer. If the vehicle was repaired at the dealer then they would have to disclose it to the buyer. Color match is usually the give away that a repair was made.

6. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just an F.Y.I. White is the combination of all colors and as a result is one of the most difficult colors to match. In a past life, one of my many hats, was a dye inventory clerk. I calculated the various dye ingredients for colored Plexiglass and molding power orders. We had over 250 formulas for white. 1 for black. The difficulty of matching white is also compounded when trying to match colors on different surfaces/materials, such as bumpers, fenders and hoods, all of which I believe are made of different materials on the Prius. Probably more than you wanted to know.

7. Neohybrid

Neohybrid Not-so-junior member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'd say it's time to go back to the dealer and let them sort it out. I had a similar situation with a GM product back in the 80's when they were using the plastic/rubber pieces around those bumpers that stuck so far out from the car. The dealer must have repainted it four times before they got a match - and it wasn't white.

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think you sent me a PM about this once. I after looking at your picture, I can say that my car does not have this issue. Even the rear bumper which was repainted 2 months after I got the car has a good match between the body color and bumper.

9. fcc

fcc New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    that would bother me and i would be back at the dealer instantly.
    unacceptable for a brand new car. i assume you bought it new.

10. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. When I picked up the car it was a bright sunny day and I carefully checked all the metal body parts for dings and creases. Like I mentioned, it doesn't seem as apparent when sunny but it is still off. If it had been a used car I would probably have looked more carefully at panels for paint matching but I noticed this about a week after having the car. I suppose I should take it to an independent body shop first just to find out the real deal - whether it was hit and repainted or just poor finishing from toyota. Regardless of what they tell me, I think for my own peace of mind I'm going to have to insist that the dealer take the bumpers off and repaint them so they match the rest of the car. I doubt they'd go for this but if there is another superwhite have them switch my covers with ones from the new car. That way, the paint would be factory original and more durable.

My only two concerns are how they will hold up a year or so from now (ie, cracking,flaking). Also concerned for resell that the car will look like it was in an accident and required repainting .... I guess it already looks that way anyhow ?

11. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    does this look acceptable - here's the same vehicle looking the best it can look with the sun lower in the sky nearer horizon and more directly illuminating the side. I've put the original posted photo next to it so you can compare them. Interesting how the rear bumper looks so different when sun is at different angles. The rear bumper does curve in while the metal body parts proximal to where they meet is more perpendicular to the ground. Not sure what that is doing to the light but the definitely are not on same plane. If you take a look at the front bumper, in the first image, it looks 'off' more than the rear in image 1. The front bumper in image 1 looks to match rear bumper in image 2. They appear too dark.

I know the two images are taken on different sides of the car but the drivers side which looks to be the better matched image will look equally as bad as the passenger side under the right circumstances (which is most of the time). The bumper is not lighter on one side than the other - it is uniformly wrong.

Attached Files:

12. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I can still notice the color difference. Did you contact the dealer about it yet?

13. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The Super White in the parking lot at the office has bumpers that match the body. IMO your rear bumper does not match and that would bother me. I would talk to the dealer and would expect to have to talk to Toyota about this. I hope you didn't submit the survey. If possible use it for leverage. If the dealer insists the color difference is normal then insist on seeing another. I'm not sure if a dealer is legally obligated to report repairs prior to sale. I believe your bumpers were switched or repainted somewhere between the factory and your acceptance of the car. If your dealer isn't listed on the sticker then add one more suspect to the list.

Good luck.

14. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oddly enough, I have not received a survey yet for the purchase. Would the survey come from Toyota or the dealer. They harped on me about giving them best scores on everything at the dealer. They knew I wasn't happy early on about this bumper thing and about what probably was overspray on the driver side. You may recall my post about 'something grabbing my microfiber cloth' when polishing the car. It would not come off. I'm leaning toward the overspray thing now. Today I spent about 2 hours getting stuff off the front windshield. I see it when the sun is low (morning and evening). I had to use bug and tar remover and a lot of elbow grease to get most of it off. Regarding the side of the car that has gritty feel to it... they finally offered to clay my car but I've yet to let them touch it or do anything. I also pointed out the color mismatch which they said 'looked good' compared to others they've seen. I definitely am taking it to an independent now and will find out first what the story is - if this car was damaged and repaired ! I have looked at other posters in super white club and have found that some pics look to have same problem. I hope they won't mind that I'm posting their pics. I'm posting them under another thread to follow. I'm not sure what is up now.

15. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I took your picture and scaned it with Photoshop. There is a distinct differences in color values between the rear bumper and the rear quarter panel right next to it.

Rear panel, R =140 G=148 B=161
    Rear bumper, R=129 G=138 B=153.
    Difference -11 -10 -9

Lower number means darker color.

My assumption is that the bumpers have been repainted.

The Prius is Japanese built only. It is likely the bumpers are painted in the states. The paint was mixed with the correct dye codes, but the base paint is not the same or as bright as the original base paint used in the factory. This causes the darker shade and the consistence of the color differences.

16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow! I just went out to look at mine because its finally cloudy here and low and behold, the bumper is darker than the panel. Even when i get down and look up at it and from the top down, its not just shadow.

17. sas0611

sas0611 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for doing the analysis with Photoshop - good idea ! If you have time and wouldn't mind, could you drop some of the photos I posted on the other thread into photoshop and give me some data points ? Thanks !

I know after looking at my vehicle from all different angles and with different lighting something is causing a visible difference between the panels and the bumpers. Is it an '08 only problems ? I don't know. If it does come this way from toyota - I would venture to say that the bumpers are not painted at same time or place as the car. Not sure why the super white Camry's always seem perfect but the prius paint process must be different. I'll be taking it to an independent body shop and let you know if they can see any signs of damage or repainting. I'm leaning towards thinking that there may be many super white prii that have this problem. If so, I am amazed that the other super white prius owners on this board haven't noticed it on their own vehicles. Super white owners - take a look and let me know or I'm threatening to start another Poll - LOL.

18. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I don't remember the specifics since it was 2.5 years ago but I do remember completing the survey on line. I think the survey came from Toyota. It would take some time for you to become registered in the database and to get the survey in the mail. Call Toyota about the survey. Stuff on the windshield and a rough painted surface on delivery just don't sound right.

19. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    this has to do with the flex additive and the skid protectant applied to the plastics on toyota vehicles, dirt seems to be attracted to these areas much more than the rest.

I have a White 06 Tacoma Double Cab, and its very evident when you look at front bumper and the fender flares ( both of which are plastic ) i notice after washing the car it looks a lot better.

20. bedrock8x

bedrock8x Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    sas0611,

Here are the additional measurements including the B&W photo.
    I notice there a trend that the rear bumpers consistently have a darker shade while the front ones are more uniform.

The color numbers are in the photos.

Attached Files: