1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Support Satellite Radio Freedom to Broadcast

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by efusco, Jun 3, 2004.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    http://xmradio.com/grassroots/index.jsp

Even if you don't currently use XM Radio this is something to consider sending a letter or calling your congressman about.

There is currently a petition to the FCC from the National Association of Broadcasters trying to restrict satellite radio stations from broadcasting their traffic and weather channels.

Also, several House Representatives have submitted a bill, HR4026, attempting to do likewise.

I think this is a serious overture by local broadcasters to try to quash satellite radio and will be only a disservice to the public making it more difficult to get weather and traffic information for destinations that are several hours away. Currently, if I'm going to be traveling to St. Louis or KC I can tune in to traffic and weather well ahead of my arrival and begin planning my route and making my plans for my visit based on those predictions.

Local broadcasters are, in no way, restricted from expanding their services to better serve the public. This is free market capitalism at work, if the locals want to keep their listeners they provide them with superior services at a lower price.

Please take a look and send a letter and or call your representative.

http://xmradio.com/grassroots/index.jsp

2. tcooper185

tcooper185 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Evan,

Thanks for posting this. Even though I'm not an XM user, I think this is crazy that the NAB would even consider asking for this. Even crazier are the US Representatives that think this is a worthwhile bill to file and debate.

The next thing the NAB will ask to ban is Internet Radio, then the Internet itself!

Tim

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, Evan. I posted a message as well.

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, thanx for the reminder. I just sent in my comments.

It's amazing. Clear Channel Radio and Infinity Broadcasting are so inept at offering decent programming, that they have to resort to crap like this. Screw them. :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

5. rflagg

rflagg Member

Remember to make your comments to the FCC by June 4th!

This is worse than the auto industry's about face on hybrids - I mean, at least when faced with competition that could very well out-do your company, GM, Ford, etc., doesn't fight for laws to make it illegal for Toyota and Honda to import hybrids here.

-m.