1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supported MP3 Players (besides IPOD's)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by our1vue, Nov 28, 2012.

1. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all,
    I have a 2012 prius 2. Up to now I've been plugging my SanDisk MP3 player into the radio via the RCA jack in the console. That works, but I can't control it via the radio/steering wheel controls. I can use a USB memory stick and that is supported by the radio/steering wheel controls, but I have no way to play that on the go. What I'm looking for is something that I can plug into the Prius and control via the radio, then if I want unplug it, connect up a set of head phones and listen to it when I'm not in the car. I think an IPOD shuffle would work. But is there some other non-apple product that would also work ?
    Thanks for any help or info

2. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Do you have the sansa clip? Have you tried plugging in the USB dock? Those are pretty simple, I thought the car would read it just like a USB drive.

3. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Adam,
    I have a sandisk m250 (an oldie). When I plug it into the USB slot, it can see the files, but will not play them. I don't
    think the m250 was designed to "play" through the USB slot, only through the RCA jack. That is why I was wondering if some other player (other than an ipod) would work. I too was wondering about a sansa clip+ would work.

4. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh I see. I am not familiar with the in's and out's of the Two's radio. How does it work when you plug in a USB stick, where can you see the song names? With a USB stick the car radio is what actually plays the music and just reads the data off the drive. Are all your songs in mp3 format as well? A lot of my music is AAC-4 and won't play in my car without an ipod or other compatible device.

5. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Adam,
    All my songs are MP3. If I put them on a memory stick, the Prius shows and plays them. If I put them on the M250, the prius can see them, but when I select one, nothing happens.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Memory Cards are cheap, I just copied my mp3 files over to one and leave it in the usb slot (using an adapter). Music is always available and I don't have to plug and unplug.

7. our1vue

our1vue Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    xliderider,
    I agree, I've put a SanDisk Cruzer memory card on my Christmas list :) But here is my situation. What I do is
    listen to audio books (and drive alot). So what I do is listen to a book when I'm driving. But when I have to go
    shopping, wait for an appointment, etc, I take the player out of my car and continue where I left off. If there was a way to listen to a memory card, that would be great. Or I need to get a player that the Prius can see the files on. Right now
    I think the only player that can do that is an Ipod. I was hoping someone had tried a newer sandisk player and that worked too.

8. has been

has been vote for anyone except Trump

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have used a Sony mp3 player thru usb but the player has to control the usage.
    I d'load my music from Rhapsody (ex-Napster).
    I then use a very nice s'ware program to convert the files to mp3.
    Then I toss them all onto a giant thumbdrive and plug it into the Prius usb port under armrest.
    We then control the tunage from radio screen.
    Get a couple thousand songs on there adn you're good for a Vegas run.
    Sounds like a lotta work but really not and it works great.
    The key is the format.