1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Supreme Court Tackles Global Warming

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by eyeguy13, Jun 27, 2006.

1. eyeguy13

eyeguy13 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From CNN, 26 Jun 2006:

"The Supreme Court plunged on Monday into the acrimonious debate over global warming and whether the government should regulate "greenhouse" gases, especially carbon dioxide from cars. The ruling could be one of the court's most important ever on the environment."

"President Bush has rejected calls by environmentalists and some lawmakers in Congress to regulate carbon dioxide, the leading heat-trapping "greenhouse" gas going into the atmosphere. Bush favors voluntary actions and development of new technologies to curtail such emissions."

"Fundamentally, we don't think carbon dioxide is a pollutant, and so we don't think these attempts are a good idea," said John Felmy, chief economist of the American Petroleum Institute, a trade group representing oil and gas producers." (my personal favorite, reminds me of the character Nick Naylor in Thank You For Smoking)

"The administration countered that the EPA should not be required to "embark on the extraordinarily complex and scientifically uncertain task of addressing the global issue of greenhouse gas emissions" when voluntary ways to address climate change are available, the administration argued in its filing with the high court."

Here is the full link, I just highlighted the good parts:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/06/26/scotus.e...t.ap/index.html