1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Surf Board Racks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Alnilam, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'd like to get a good solid rack that does minimal (no) damage to the roof or rails. It should hold two boards. Anybody found one they like? Permanent mount is preferred, but I can live with the straps if I have to.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    In terms of generic roof racks, the Thule racks seem to be rather popular on here (they simply clip to the roof and off you go). I'm not sure what you would want/need for a surfboard, though... i'm sure someone make an attachment designed for them.

I have a Saris rack i use with my kayak (i've had as many as two up there for a total of 150+ lbs) which works the same way as the Thule racks (except Saris decided to get out of roof racks and focus on hitch racks for bikes) and haven't had any damage. FWIW, these type of racks can be thought of as "semi-permanent". once they're clipped on, they aren't going anywhere (and don't require straps or anything), but can later be removed by loosening the clips and pulling it off - it's perfect for seasonal sports and such (i use mine only during the summer, as i can't go kayaking when the lakes here are frozen over :p).

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    There are details & photos about the roof-rack I use for carrying 2 kayaks in the User-Guide.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  5. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thank you all!

The consensus I get is:

Yakimas work
    Saris is better but not made anymore
    Thule is the same as Saris but nobody actually has one

If I don't hear anything further, I'll see if I can find a Saris somewhere or, if unable, get a Thule. I have a Thule bike rack on my tow hitch and it has always been without problem.

Again, thanks!