1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Surfing

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Proco, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Way back in September I finally did something I've talked about since I moved to the Jersey Shore 8 years ago. I took a surfing lesson. I thought I'd enjoy it, but I didn't realize how much. It's definitely something I want to keep doing. Here's my problem ...

I have absolutely no upper body strength. About 15 minutes into the hour-long lesson, my arms felt like over-cooked spaghetti. Pipe cleaners have more definition than my arms have. So I'm looking for ways to get myself in shape to be able to handle paddling a board out against the surf over and over again.

I'm lucky enough to work at a university and have access to our rec center, including the pool. Right now I run three days a week (usually about 2 miles) and swim two. I figure swimming will be one of the best things for me since it uses the muscles I'm looking to improve. I also do a little lifting (machines, not free weights) on the days I run.

Does anyone have any suggestions on specific lifting I can be doing to increase my strength for swimming/surfing? I want to be in decent enough shape when the weather starts getting warmer.

Thanks!!

2. excuseMeButt

excuseMeButt Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 31 2007, 08:35 AM) [snapback]383221[/snapback]</div>
    I am not an expert but here is my opinion...

Ditch those machines and go with the free weights. Machines keep you on a narrow track, but free weights develop supporting muscles needed to balance the weights. You'll get stronger faster.

Make the bench press the mainstay of your exercizes. It develops the chest and arms better than any other exercize.

Do 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. When you gain strength and can do 12 reps, add more weight and do 8 reps again. Keep working you way up.

~E

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've noticed that the younger, stronger, serious lifters are always in the free-weight room, while the old geezers like me are in the machine room. Everything excuseMe says about machines and free weights is correct. However, there's more chance of injury with free weights. The disadvantage of machines, in keeping you on a narrow tract, is also a protective factor for us older folks.

HOWEVER the very best thing you can do to build up the specific strength needed for surfing is to surf! Right now you can only manage 15 minutes, but if you do it every day for a month you'll be up to an hour, and in a year you'll be able to do it all day long.

Beyond that, most individual activities use just a few muscles, and many activities strengthen one muscle while ignoring its opposing muscle, and this creates a muscular imbalance which is a recipe for injury. So what you really need to do is make sure you work the opposite muscles to the ones surfing uses. A good personal trainer can put you on the right track in 2 or 3 one-hour sessions.

(Parenthetically, I had a surfing lesson when I was in Australia, and an afternoon to try it out a day or two later. I worked my arms so hard, paddling out through the breakers, that I aggrivated an existing shoulder problem, and a year later I still have occasional shoulder pain. So build up to it gradually, and back off at the first sign of discomfort. I have lousy balance. I managed to get up twice, but was never actually up for any measurable time: it was a rising, standing, and falling over all in one smooth motion. In the end I paddled out to where the really big breakers were, not knowing any better, was bowled over by three big waves in succession, and lost my (waterproof prescription) sport goggles.)

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(excuseMeButt @ Jan 31 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]383224[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip. I never really knew the difference between free weights & machines. I've always assumed that weights will give you more bulk and machines more tone. Bulk I'm not interested in.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 31 2007, 10:36 AM) [snapback]383258[/snapback]</div>
    Good point. I have to remember that, while 37 certainly isn't old, it's also not young. In fact I've been cruelly reminded on a number of occasions that my body just can't do what it did when it was 22, even if I still feel like it can.
    If I lived in a warmer climate, I'd do just that. The average water temp right now is between 37 & 40. That's a little too cold for me and I don't want to buy a full suit with hood just to practice. I'd much rather use just the Spring suit I just bought. That's why I started swimming. Plus it works a hell of a lot more than I thought!
    I'd rather not pay a personal trainer if I don't have to. If there were one on staff at the rec center at work, I'd definitely take advantage of it. I do hear you on the need to work out the opposite muscles, too. It's very easy to concentrate on the obvious muscles (upper arm, shoulder) and forget about non-obvious ones. I know the legs are very necessary to maintain balance and hold the position. I appreciate that reminder. Being a runner I sometimes take my legs for granted in other arenas. And the chest & back to support the shoulders will be necessary, too.
    Sorry to hear about your goggles. I'm lucky I have pretty good balance. I was able to get up a couple times during my lesson and ride for a little bit. Of course, we weren't having really big waves and the instructor was pushing me to get me started.

Thanks again for your help, both of you. I really appreciate it.
    [​IMG]

5. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Jan 31 2007, 10:28 AM) [snapback]383369[/snapback]</div>
    First time I went out decades ago, the first thing my surfer friends asked was whether I could swim or not. I said of course I can swim and they smiled and said “we'll seeâ€. Well my experience was similar to yours and after only 3 or 4 times trying to get out past the surf line I was exhausted. Not to mention just plain winded from holding my breath and getting pounded full of salt water. So my suggestion would be to get in the pool and do most of your training there because swimming muscles and weight lifting muscles are different. You also need to expand your lung capacity. Might not hurt to get in the wrestling or boxing ring occasionally to see if you can take a pounding. :blink:

Wildkow

p.s. You'll be fit as a fiddle in no time! :D

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I disagree that "weight lifting muscles and swimming muscles are different." A properly-designed weight program can work every muscle in your body. However, only a professional or a very experienced lifter will know how. Bunch presses and clean-and-jerk ain't gonna do it.

It's also not true that "free weights bulk and machines tone." You can bulk or you can tone with either method. It's a function of weight and repititions. Simply put, lifting as much weight as you can just barely do 3 repititions, will build bulk. Lifting the weight that you can do 10 to 15 repititions will develop tone.

You don't need to have a personal trainer on a long-term basis. Just a few sessions to learn the proper way to lift, and the specific exercises for the muscles you want to work on. A little money spent now to learn the right way to lift is better than a lot of money spent later after you get injured lifting wrong.

I'd say you don't need a trainer if you just want to use the machines at relatively light weight (where you can do three sets of 12 to 15 reps on each muscle group). But if you're going to do more weight, or you are going to lift free weights, do yourself a favor and learn how to do it right.

For anyone else reading this, I'd point out that weight-lifting is no substitute for aerobic exercise, because only aerobic exercise will build endurance. But since you're already a jogger, you have that part going already.

7. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

In the '60's when surfing became all the rage and long boards were the norm, I took up surfing at the Jersey shore. Got adequately OK at riding waves, but on my last major ride I got caught in a rip tide and dragged so far out to sea that when the waves rolled under me they obliterated my view of land. I was one scared early teen. Luckily, tho extremely embarrassingly for me, I was rescued by a lifeguard. Although I dabbled a little more that summer on the board, I lost interest. Now, in my mid 50s, I dream of taking up the sport again.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jan 31 2007, 09:59 PM) [snapback]383703[/snapback]</div>
    I'm shocked! :eek: Who would've have guessed?

Wildkow

9. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Feb 2 2007, 07:39 AM) [snapback]384336[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: :lol: :lol: I did some surfing as a teen, we didnt use long boards.... After a few people got bit by sharks in New Symrna & Coco Beach I sold the board and shifted to Boogie Boarding then to skimming. ;)

10. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would think swimming Butterfly would work the same paddling muscles.