1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Surprised by low tank average

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After logging two back-to-back 66.0 MPG tanks, I am surprised, bewildered, and frustrated this this tank will conclude at just above 64 MPG.

On most occasions, mileage tracks temperature pretty well. In this case, the average temperature increased from 70.3ºF to 73.8ºF while my mileage dropped 1.7 MPG.

I was checking my tires the entire time and they maintain a steady 52f/50r ± 1psi for temp.
    The driving was basically and consistantly the same as always with a few exceptions but nothing that jumps out or can explain the long-term drop. Even when driving my regular commute there were days in which I would have expected to bring the 64 up to at least 64.5 but would be happy if the drive concluded with an addition of even 0.1 or 0.2 increase. I pulsed, I glided. I stealthed and I coasted. I used all the tricks that I teach others but yet the mileage dropped.

Now don't get me wrong. This "dissapointing" 64.3 MPG tank is still higher than any tank from the last three years.
    But I still have to ask: "what went wrong?"

2. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe you may need to retract the gliding parachute.

3. berylrb

berylrb Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 19 2007, 12:36 PM) [snapback]481679[/snapback]</div>
    Tony my man, rejoice in your 60ness! LOL, I couldn't help but reply, you're in heaven brother and don't know it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

But, I'll try to be empathetic, ... let's talk man to man, ... Tony, I believe you have a weight problem. Remember last week when you loaded up on Cookies and Cream, well bro' it went right to the adipose (sp) tissue. Do the math man, don't be in denial just make your way on down to Jenny Craig, and they will set you free! And before you know it you will be back in the land of 65 plus! :p :p :p

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 19 2007, 01:36 PM) [snapback]481679[/snapback]</div>
    64 MPG! Man, I'd dump that lame Prius and buy a truck. ;)

Tom

5. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    While the average temp may be higher, check the average morning temp. I've noticed it has been low 60's many days and could have dropped you on the morning commute and the afternoon couldn't bring it up. I also was expecting a better tank before I filled up after the July 14th ChicagoPriusGroup event. And my current tank, under about the same conditions is higher than last time. Other thing is the gas from your last fill-up, different station?

Wayne

6. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry Tony... it is all my fault... I've noticed after 3 tanks of consistent MFD 51.2 - 51.4 mpg values, THIS 4th tank is showing 52.8 - 53.2 so far...
    So, the MPG faeries have clearly linked our cars, and I'm siphoning off some of your MPG. Thanks, mate!

7. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hey, as long as someone is getting those MPGs I'm happy. You're welcome. ;)

8. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Still 2mpg better than I'm getting right now!

9. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brick @ Jul 19 2007, 05:13 PM) [snapback]481822[/snapback]</div>
    I am at 56.7 right now :(

10. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Tony,

It was the 4 th of July week that did it in for me. Traffic was just was not slow and go enough on the highway. I dropped down to sub 58, and then the week after pulled the tank up to 59.3 after two 60 + tanks. When the college kids go back to school, summer construction workers go back to local jobs, and so on, we will loose mileage again as traffic lightens. Happens every year. Summer is busy on the roads.

Maybe you need an average speed trend line, as well as the temp trend line?

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bah! I was at 61mpg.. dropped to 59mpg though (A/C running cause it suddenly got colder and with the rain, you need the A/C running to prevent the windows from fogging up. Far cry from the 25-30°C temps last week!)

12. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It never occurred to me until Wayne mentioned it, but I'm wondering if I have a tank of bad gas.

I was going to refill tonight prior to driving to Hybridfest, but now I want to completely dump this tank and start over as fresh as I can. Unfortunately, I have two bars still and probably at least 150 miles. It's only 110 miles to the fest so I will probably be refilling in Madison. Preferably at a reputable station.

13. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    well if it helps Saturday I filled mine up before I made a trip up the Interstate to Cleveland to watch the Browns game, Averaged 58 MPG on the way there (45 miles) but on the way out it was a nightmare, didn't realize that the Indians also had a home game going on at the same time and took half hour to get out of the parking garage, and another half hour or so just to get back to the highway to hardly move. My SOC ended up getting low so my MPG dropped the trip to 51 MPG and I have had a hard time nursing it back up since I drive mainly all highway. I now have it up to 52.5 MPG after this mornings commute with about a total of 200 miles on the tank so far. I hate it when it goes under 55.

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha that's funny. What a shocking problem, you must be very disapointed.