1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Surviving a Car Crash" on CNBC

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, May 10, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    From News Headlines
    I've been seeing ads for this and will be recording it tonight. Looked ok from the ads but I'm not so sure now given the description.

Discuss.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It was insightful but overall just ok. It wasn't a must watch. It might appeal to the engineers here.

I didn't know that the involuntary startled reflex that we have (in theory, as protection) which kicks in if we're rear-ended actually can make the potential for injuries even worse. So, it's better that the reflex is triggered before the crash like via a sound or tightening the seat belts.

I wonder if the pre-collision system warnings in some cars are actually intended to do just that. I've seen some demo videos of the Gen 3 Prius w/the advanced technology package (which has PCS) and a message that says "BRAKE!" will show up, accompanied by beeping. I believe the seat belts will tighten up too.

There was an test near the end where they increased a driver's cognitive load. I'd have trouble completing that task if I were driving.

The experimental windshield system that GM was working on was interesting. It would be really cool to have something like what they were showing.

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    cwerdna, I've wondered what should I do if I'm about to get rear-ended? Should I "slam" my head against the back rest so that it doesn't whip into it, or what?