1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Suspend Guideance" Epiphany

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cipher, Apr 18, 2009.

1. cipher

cipher New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Today I had a battle royal with the voice recognition system in my 2005 w/ the original 4.2 Nav DVD. I was using the Nav system to get out of an unfamiliar part of town and I had made it to known territory, so I pushed the voice command button and said "Suspend Guidance", to which the car replied "Setting temperature to 78 degrees". OK, I had that coming, I had two windows rolled down and I was in traffic so there was a lot of ambient noise. I rolled the windows up, turned the temperature down, and repeated the command "Suspend Guidance"; "Setting temperature to 65 degrees". It was 'on', mano-a-caro, the battle began. The voice recognition system and I usually get along pretty well, I don't expect too much from it and it cooperates some of the time, but I've had real problems with the "Suspend Guidance" command.

The rest of the trip I fought with it, I tried saying it slower, faster, softer, and screaming at it. I tried valley girl accents, cowboy accents, New York accents, and British accents. I tried everything and nothing worked. And then, as I pulled into the parking lot, I switched it back to the map screen and LAaaa <-(angelic choir) it worked.

YOU HAVE TO BE IN A NAV SCREEN TO ISSUE A NAV VOICE COMMAND!!!

The first time I had tried to turn off the guidance, and it set the temperature to 78 degrees, I switched to the climate control screen to turn off the heat. From then on, I left it on the climate control screen because it kept setting the temperature to some random setting. So back and forth we went! "Suspend Guidance!" "Setting temperature to 68 degrees"

I just took a quick peek at the owners manual and I didn't see anything that said you have to be in the map screen to issue Nav voice commands, but I've tried it several times since then and I'm pretty sure that's the case. This probably isn't news to some people but it sure is to me. Finally after almost 4 1/2 years I can shut it up when I want, without having to hit buttons on the screen!

Now if only I could turn off the Nagigation system when she's in the car, I'd be in heaven!