1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension arm rubber bush

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Zookeeper, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Zookeeper

Zookeeper New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi fellow Prius drivers,
    I have just joined this forum hoping to get some better understanding of what I am actually looking for.
    My 2004 Prius just failed the MOT:
    'Front (both rear bushes) Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement. '
    I was told at the garage that Toyota would only supply the complete 'set', which I understood to be the complete suspension arm? For both sides that would be just over £400. Am I right in assuming that all I need is the bushes that are cheaper on their own? I have been trying to find these parts now, but because of the two language barriers I have - I am German plus I don't speak 'car parts' ;-) - I am not sure if I am actually using the right searches? Is there maybe another description for the same parts I am looking for? I would really appreciate it if someone out there could help me order the right parts for my favourite car...
    Regards,
    The Zookeeper ;-)

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The diagram showing those bushings has the footnote "This part is not supplied as an individual part, because it is hard to assemble / disassemble due to the structure".

I think I have seen some aftermarket suppliers offering those parts. That would still leave you (or your mechanic) to figure out the "hard to assemble / disassemble" issue.

-Chap

Zookeeper likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Odometer reading?

Did you ask your mechanic about the possibility of installing an aftermarket bushing in the lower control arm? A machine shop probably would need to do that work if a hydraulic press is required to remove and insert the bushing. This assumes that such bushings are even available in your geographic area. If you can't find local sources to do that work for you then you may need to just buy the correct Toyota parts.

toyodiy.com is a website which provides Toyota part numbers, the scope is international so you hopefully can find the correct part numbers for your vehicle. Unfortunately that website does not provide illustrated parts diagrams.

Many US Toyota dealers offer online parts websites which include exploded parts diagrams. For example:
    LOWER CONTROL ARM for 2004 Toyota Prius|48069-47040

#3 Patrick Wong, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  4. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    the bushings are available from whiteline-- there may be more brands as well. the control arm will need to be removed to press the bushings but it should still cost less than replacing the whole arm