1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension / Brake Mount Issue

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by macguyft, Jan 26, 2012.

1. macguyft

macguyft Environmental Wacko

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello everyone...

I have an issue that I wanted to share and see if anyone else has this issue.

When driving my Prius v3 (2,700 miles) I can feel some vibration / wobbling / modulation directly under my left foot. It seems to be fairly consistent regardless of road conditions. I took my car to the dealership today and they told me that they also felt the "issue"... stating that it appears to be coming from perhaps the engine mounts. They also said that they could feel in in the gas pedal. However, they also said that this was normal. In other words, they could not find anything wrong mechanically with my car. So... Good news and bad news. This is "subtle" but definitely there. I think now it's bothering me even more. I find myself moving my left foot around to try and reduce the modulation.

Oh... one more thing. After leaving the service department I saw my sales guy and we took another new v out for a test drive. Sure enough, I felt it in this car as well. He encouraged me to file a complaint and take it "up the ladder".

I love the car in every other way... But this is really annoying.

Anyone else experiencing this in their new v?

2. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was feeling a wobble with my left foot on the resting area to the left of the pedals. I seemed to be speed related and went away within 3minutes of driving. I'm thinking that it was the flat spot on the tires. I was below freezing last night and 34 degrees when I started driving, and that can make for a cold tire with a slightly flat spot where it touches the ground.

Just to rule this out in your situation, check tire pressure, outside temp, and see if it goes away when the tires warm up (less than 5 min?)

3. Cactus Hybrid

Cactus Hybrid Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry to hear about your issue...for the last two days, I have been paying more attention to my ride and have NOT felt the "subtle" vibration.

Like Chazz8 mentioned it may be tire related..I would move the left front tire to the rear or put on the spare. Then do a test drive and check for the vibration again. Maybe it's a simple fix...

However it's odd that you felt the same vibration on another Prius v..

4. macguyft

macguyft Environmental Wacko

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The technician also thought it may be tire related... but did not find anything wrong with the tire. It's worth investigating however. I may have my dealership due a rotation prior to my 5k check and see (or better yet, feel) if there are any changes. Thanks for the tip.

Also, I will definitely check out the pressure. Where I am in Michigan it's been pretty cold, but I really haven't felt any difference based on outside temps.

5. DaveShep

DaveShep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At about 950 miles, I started to get a similar issue. It's like some sort of rotational friction type feeling. I can feel it in the floor, gas/brake pedal and the steering wheel. The weird thing is that it comes and goes. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm on the gas, cruising or braking. I mostly drive at highway speeds but I sometimes feel it during city driving. It's been 3 days and 350 miles since it started and it's really getting frustrating.

In my experience, unless I have more info and I know they'll be able to feel it (and be willing to say they feel it), it's gonna be a waste of time to have them check it out. I love my V and don't really want them just poking around without some kind of direction.