1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

suspension bushings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ranczar, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ranczar

ranczar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    My 2004 Gen 2 has 227k miles and I've noticed a slight noise as I roll to a stop. It sounds like it may be caused by worn suspension bushings and with my high mileage seems probable. Can anyone here list the front and rear suspension bushings that exist? I'm just going to have them all done. Struts and shocks were replaced at 150k, and one ball joint replaced at 180k, but no other suspension work performed. Thanks.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take it to a tire shop and get a free estimate. Given where you live it may not be cost effective to repair as the underside of the car most likely has very bad corrosion. Its very simple straight forward any tire shop can handle it. Nothing needs to be dealered.

To answer your question its pretty simple under the front and rear. Front has bushings in the lower a frame and it has the struts. A frame comes complete with lower ball joint. It has stabilizer ends that tend to make a racket when they wear out.
    Rear is very simple also struts and single large bushing on the back of each side of the trailing arm.

Just go online for toyota parts and there's diagrams of the entire suspension and the cost for each part. May be cost effective to buy the part and supply it. I recommend you use original parts not Moog or any other crap thats out there.

When the tire guy has the car up try to get under there and take a look and see just how bad it is under there.

3. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OEM lower control arms (a frame) are $200 each including bj. Any mechanic will charge you $300 to install both so yeah its expensive.
    To bad as some lubrication will extend there life indefinitely.

5. ranczar

ranczar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thanks for the information, gents. I'll get busy and get it done!

6. Siberian_man

Siberian_man New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Problem: high price of OEM parts for bushings

Solution: Siberian Bushing saving money because they made separately from arms (original sold assembled with the control arms) and more durable (made of polyurethane and tested in the most severe road and weather conditions in the world)...
    [​IMG]

Online catalog in siberianbushing com

[​IMG]