1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

suspension mods advice: sportivo + tom's

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by shispeed, May 20, 2007.

1. shispeed

shispeed New Member

Hi all, i'm a newbie owner of 2006 looking to improve handling. From reading the forums these look like the key candidates:

+ TRD Sportivo Supsension Kit ($990)
    + TOM'S Front Suspension Brace (front) ($295)
    + TOM'S Lower Body Brace (rear) ($525)
    + TOM'S Upper Stablizer (strut) ($290)
    + TOM'S Floor Strengthening Brace (middle) ($325)

My question for you experts: if i didn't want to do all of these mods, could I do 2-3 of these and get 80% of the benefit? Or, put another way, which mods have relatively the least impact?

Thanks! -Shipspeed

Also, any of you Sportivo owners have pics? Would like to see how it affects ride height.

2. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shipspeed @ May 19 2007, 09:44 PM) [snapback]445994[/snapback]</div>
    shipspeed,

To get the most bang for your buck I would first go with the Sportivo Suspension kit, which dramatically increases your steering response and firms up your ride. There has been numerous cudos from other members on different threads (ride height i believe was lowered by 1/2 - 3/4 in). Second, I would get the Lower Body brace, this brace connects to 3 points of the vehicle, 2 of the rear suspension and 1 point to the lower body. This decreases flex of the cars body when taking turns. Third, I would get the Upper Stablizer (strut) on limit the flex and stiffen the front of the vehicle during hard turns.

Another good way to acheive good handling is to replace your factory wheels and tires with low profile tires. The low profile tires have a shorter and stiffer sidewall and significantly increases your steering response and improves your handling. The only downfall is that you take a hit in MPG.

After installing the tC wheels and tires, I took a 4 MPG hit.

For myself, all i'm missing is the Sportivo suspension, which I should have done first. (ordering soon)

I work just outside of San Francisco, if your interested, we could meet and you could check out my suspension and be your own judge of the TOM'S bars.

Hope this helps

3. shispeed

shispeed New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SaeGai06 @ May 19 2007, 10:16 PM) [snapback]446002[/snapback]</div>
    Valuable feedback, SaeGai06 - thanks! Do you have a bay area shop you recommend for the suspension and braces install? I was thinking of ordering the parts and having them shipped directly to the shop.

4. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shipspeed @ May 20 2007, 12:44 AM) [snapback]445994[/snapback]</div>
    THE biggest changes occur with suspension (TRD) and tire changes. Some also like to do wheel changes, but it cost's significantly more to change the entire wheel/tire setup and the gain isn't great.

Also from other threads, the front suspension brace had more effect than the upper stablizer, and the same with the lower body brace vs. the floor strengthening brace.

I upgraded the tires alone (GY Triple-tread Assurance) and love the difference, then I added the controversial BT Tech brace. That was before I knew about Tom's options...going to have to switch soon, just need the cash.

5. SaeGai06

SaeGai06 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(shipspeed @ May 21 2007, 12:45 AM) [snapback]446524[/snapback]</div>
    shipspeed,

I installed everything myself. It's pretty straight forward and if you need help there are some very detailed threads on priuschat that can help. But, most of the TOM'S bars are straight forward.

If you were to decide on the Sportivo suspension and you've never done any kind of suspension work, i'd suggest getting it professionally installed.

Good Luck

6. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The suspension was the only thing I didn't install myself. I really didn't feel like dealing with it so I got a local performance shop to get them installed for me. It was only $150 for the install. The dealership wanted $700.