1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension/plate Mods???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusincc, Apr 20, 2007.

1. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So Prius People (PP),

What's the bottom line on suspension mods? Save me from the "paralysis of analysis". I've had the car for several weeks; I've read a lot of the threads on plates, stiffeners, etc. to the wee hours. Sure the car has some handling issues; for one, it's more susceptible to cross winds; but we're not talking about handling akin to a hippopotamus with muscular dystrophy.

I'm retired, so I don't commute anywhere. Will drive mostly around town, with a few road trips a year. Probably average less than 10K miles a year, after the novelty wears off. I'm just trying to do the "green" thing, and save gas money. With all this said, it there any one or two mods I could/should make to improve handling? Something that will be significant, or am I just mildly paranoid, and should be happy with what I got?

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I know what you mean about analysis paralysis. I cannot believe the thread on the BTTech stiffening plate has become over 20 pages long. I had issues with the car wandering in the lane such that my confidence was shaken in negotiating curves on multilane freeways. I never knew when I would hit the marker bumps. I added the BTTech plate, and now the car feels much more solid, and I feel very confident about staying in my lane on curves.

I have not explored any alternate springs, becuase I don't want to slide my compromise over into the relm of a rough ride. I don't drive a race car, but I do appreciate solid handling for my moderate speeds.

I have also noted posts about off the showroom floor alignment problems, and someone said Toyota will provide a free alignment for the first year. I will check that out soon.

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The cheapest is tire inflation. You can also get tires other than the OEM. Alignment helps too.

A more permanent solution is the BT Brace for about $165 as NoMoShocks mentioned. Sigma Automotive sells other handling items, but they cost more.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, "cheap" improvements would include the BT brace. You can also try using wider tyres (195s and 205s will fit). I think those two should help with stability issues.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 20 2007, 11:23 AM) [snapback]426827[/snapback]</div>
    That is correct, you are intitled to a free alignment within 1 year or 20,000 miles that is what my salesman and the service writer told me at the stealership.
    as always call your service dept. and make sure cause I know if I say something it will change..

6. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Apr 20 2007, 10:13 AM) [snapback]426819[/snapback]</div>
    What are you wanting in the way of "improve handling"? I doubt if the Prius will ever be able to be modified to handle on a par with a MINI for example. If better resistance to cross winds is what you are looking for, you might try the BT Tech stiffening plate (lowest investment required for the mod). While you are at it, have the Toe-in checked. If you like what the BT Tech plate does and want more, then you are having to decide how much more. TOM'S Strut Brace and Lower Suspension Brace will set you back ~$750 (parts + shipping) plus install. Depending on the tire, wider tires (like 205 series) will set you back in the vicinity of $350 - $400 plus install.

Hope this helps.

7. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input. I'm leaning toward the BT Plate, especially since it seems to be on sale now. Although one guy says it helped the back end, but made the front more susceptible to following grooved surfaces, then was looking at Tom's products to fix that. Just like "NoMoShocks" said, I just want solid handling for moderate speeds, and not get to the point of diminishing returns for the investment.
    The alignment is a good tip also. Many times new cars aren't always aligned properly. This is usually something I do anyway with new car. Will check with dealer about free alignment.
    I will certainly research tires when it becomes necessary. This is one of those trade-off situations-bigger tires for traction, but more friction=less MPG.
    This is really a great site; Toyota should include it in their owners manual or something.

8. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 20 2007, 11:59 PM) [snapback]427168[/snapback]</div>

I don't know about that. I'd say mine is pretty close. Yes, all the parts were expensive, but the difference is drastic.

Tom's braces
    TRD suspension
    17" wheels w. 215/45 tires
    BT plate

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusincc @ Apr 21 2007, 09:50 AM) [snapback]427271[/snapback]</div>
    Not true. I've shown that even with heavier wheels and wider tires, I was still able to average 52 mpg. Search for my thread about it to see.

9. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 21 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]427408[/snapback]</div>
    Good job;thanks for clarification.

10. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 21 2007, 01:46 PM) [snapback]427408[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting. Since I presently have a MINI, I have something to compare the Prius to. The stock Touring Edition Prius with 205 series tires that I have added in no way compares to the MINI (MCS with the factory Sport Suspension option and 205 series tires). I am waiting for the TOM'S upper and lower suspension braces to arrive from Japan. When those show up, I will add the BT plate at the same time. Somehow, I doubt even with the additional suspension bits, the MINI will have real serious competition pulling G's. If the interest is there, I will post back after I add the suspension bits to the Prius.

11. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 20 2007, 08:59 PM) [snapback]427168[/snapback]</div>
    Just as soon as I got my BTTech Stiffening plate, me and several other Prius owners who have added the plate made a caravan of Prii and drove though shopping malls, train stations, down stairs and up a ramp to the roof of a large domed roof, just like on "The Italian Job", and the Prii did just fine!

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ Apr 21 2007, 06:44 PM) [snapback]427527[/snapback]</div>
    Ha! But did you do your driving carrying around a load of gold bars.... :lol:

13. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 21 2007, 08:54 PM) [snapback]427613[/snapback]</div>
    Oh yeah, sorry I forgot to mention we had the gold bars too!

14. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI-I ordered the BT plate, can't pass up a sale ($20 off). No guts /no glory. I like the shopping mall capability. If I can't notice the difference, I can always sell it on eBay. I'll post results when installed.

Update 5/10/07-
    Plate received & installed today. Waiting for a windy day to try out.

Update 5/19/07-
    Completed first road trip. Car seemed stable on highway. Little effect from semis coming in other direction. Had some cross winds, only felt effects on strong gusts. I'm completely happy with it. It also corners good enough for me on windy mountain roads.

15. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 21 2007, 08:49 PM) [snapback]427507[/snapback]</div>
    The Sport Suspension option on the Touring is still much softer than the TRD kit. AFAIK the ride height of the Touring is pretty much the same regardless of which suspension you have. The TRD kit lowers it by about an inch, along with significantly stiffer springs and more firmly damped shocks/struts. Add in the 215/45 tires, and it creates a whole bunch of grip. The Prius, has a bonus in that it has a relatively low COG. Lowering the car an inch only magnifies this bonus.

The Tom's braces made a noticeable difference in handling, but the TRD kit made the single biggest change to the handling of the Prius.

Bring your Mini over to my house here in Florida. We'll take a quick trip down to Sebring and do some comparative laps. I have full confidence that I'll be able to keep up with your Mini.

16. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]427828[/snapback]</div>
    I am curious how much the handling of the Prius can be improved over the stock baseline. However, there is a tradeoff of sorts in that the car has to be able to spend its life as a daily driver on the streets. In the S.F. Bay Area, that means being able to deal with rotten road quality. I am starting to form the opinion that the S.F. Bay Area roads are the worst in the nation. Lowered springs and 17 inch /45 series tires are almost an invitation for misery - I know; I have had to replace one tire and wheel on the MINI due to running into a pothole at night that could not be avoided due to oncomming traffic. I wonder how much of an improvement the combination of the TOM'S front suspension braces (upper and lower) plus the BT plate and the Touring suspension would produce over a stock (non-Touring) suspension. I will have the ability to make that comparison, since the dealer's service department has a stock non-Touring Prius loaner. It will be interesting to see the results.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Apr 22 2007, 10:24 AM) [snapback]427828[/snapback]</div>
    That (running laps at Sebring) would be fun. However, I have done extensive mods to the MINI's engine; Porsche 911s on the Infineon road course get some rather unpleasant surprises from the car.

17. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Apr 22 2007, 10:59 AM) [snapback]427848[/snapback]</div>
    I kind of have that combination now with TRD suspension, and the car handles awesome. I first got the BT plate, which gave me the lust for better handling. Since no one here had the TRD yet, there were no opinions about it. I bit the bullet and got it, anyways, and it was worth it. The addition of the Tom's braces helped with steering response, and a stiffened up the front end so the suspension could do it's job more effectively. I regularly take it to the Rockies, and rip up the curves there. One day, I'll stop slacking and install the rest of the Tom's stuff (floor and rear), but you won't ever see me parting with the stuff I currently have.

18. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Apr 22 2007, 02:13 PM) [snapback]427927[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder how the car will handle without the TRD suspension. I am willing to punt on the TOM'S front suspension bits (upper and lower) and the BT Stiffening Plate as an intermediate step. For example, does the combination of Touring Edition factory suspension plus TOM'S front suspension bits plus the BT Stiffening Plate get me to somewhere around 1/2 of where the TRD will take the car's handling? My primary objection to the TRD is in the lowering of the ride height by approximately 1 inch. That 1 inch will make the difference between scraping and not scraping the roadway in driving on city streets in my neck of the woods. Additionally, if I did go with the TRD, I would be wanting to put on a front skid plate to protect the underhood mechanicals....

19. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have to agree with what's been said earlier about the TRD suspension pieces; it's the single biggest change you can make to the handling. I'm sure the other stuff makes incremental improvements, though.

I live in the SF Bay Area. From my experiences so far, I have scraped that black plastic piece at the very bottom of the front spoiler lip a few times, but just barely. I believe the real issue to be, if you're not careful pulling into a parking spot or you're in a hurry, you'll smack the front of the car against the tire stop thingie or whatever curbage is there to meet you as you pull in.

I've also scraped the BT plate on an oddly shaped driveway entrance, once, but that was a weird situation and basically I just messed up.

I think that if you're driving on dirt roads regularly, the skidplate which you suggested would be a good idea, but otherwise if you're at all careful, IMO, the lowered ride height isn't that much of a problem. Yes, it's more vulnerable to damage, though. At the stock ride height, for example, the lowest part in front of the car clears the tire stop at the end of the parking spots at the BART station where I park...but that same piece doesn't on my car (I parked next to another Prius). It's not even close, actually. And, yes, there is some stuff down there that it'd probably be better not to damage (I wonder about this, too).

Also, I'm a bit rattle-averse and vowed never again to lower another car...but this one seemed to me to need it enough to where I decided that I was willing to live with the results. And, sure enough, entropy seems to already be beginning (a squeak here and a creak there, but I've no baseline Prius to compare against, either), so you might consider that, too.

I think, for me, I weighed the pros and cons: The cost didn't make too terribly much of an impact on my budget and I've driven lowered cars before so I had some strategies to rely upon. Also, the entrance to my driveway is modest in slope and there aren't any major obstacles which I'd have to negotiate on a daily basis as part of my commute.

My Toyota dealer installed the TRD suspension and also put on the BT brace; other than that the car is stock. It looks just different enough, something about the bit of rake (actually, the front end is lowered a bit more than the rear) and the stance can make the more observant among us do a double take, while still allowing 'under the radar' flight amongst the civilian population.

I like the setup a lot but, I do tend to be attracted to the somewhat esoteric/eccentric.

Honestly, after all of this, the availability of the TRD parts from the factory is what clinched the deal. My hope was that the spring rates and whatnot might be better resolved/a better overall compromise for spirited daily driving/durability than some aftermarket options.

So far, so good (but I am wondering when I'll have to replace that plastic piece in front!)