1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension Squeaking and Creaking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 'LectroFuel, Apr 3, 2016.

1. 'LectroFuel

'LectroFuel Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My suspension has been creaking even when I get in the car. I'm not even that heavy (about 150 lbs). The ride feels the same as it has before, but I also notice squeaking when going over bumps. This mainly happens in the rear shocks. Does anyone have this problem or know haw to fix it?

2. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If asking about the 2016, take it to the dealer for warranty.

If an older Prius, likely worn out bushings &/or shocks. You could spray the bushings one at a time, w/ a lubricant, then drive to see if noise decreases/goes away. This will help you figure out which bushing(s) have gone bad, assuming the bad bushing is not easily visible.

Some company may possibly be making or will soon make a complete bushing replacement kit. These kits are available for older popular cars.

3. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    It's for my 2005. I just wanted to know if I can fix them or improve them. New shocks cost a little less than half of what the car is worth. Thanks!

4. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    When were the front struts and rear shocks last replaced? Replacement may likley get rid of the squeak.

The sturt/shock manufactures recommend 5years/50K miles replacement interval to maintain optimum handling and braking capabilities.
    KYB Americas | When to Replace Shocks

So if the car needed tires or brakes, you would not spend this money b/c this maintenance repair equals a fraction/percentage of the cars market price? Isn't it cheaper to keep this depreciated asset on the road instead of taking a loan to buy a new or a new-used car that will drop in value much faster than the depreciated asset you have now?

You could also drop comprehensive and collision, if you have not already done so? This will likely save you hundreds a year on insurance. A financed vehicle purchase (new/used) would require you to maintain comprehensive and collision.

HeadOfJarg likes this.
  5. 'LectroFuel

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't remember ever replacing them. And thats with about 250,000 miles! Good point about the new car loan. I'm probably going to keep my 05 until it totally dies.

6. jaster

jaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm experiencing this exact same thing with my 2007 Prius. I've had this car since 2010 and this noise only started being noticeable a month ago. Took it into the shop and they replaced the struts. Even though it made sense to replace the (probably original) struts, the front end squeaking and creaking didn't go away. So now they think the bushings are causing this and are advising to replace those. Is that most likely what is causing this? They mentioned possibly replacing the bushings and tie rods at the same time. I'm not sure what to go for.