1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension upgrade on $1000 budget

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by bustagriggs, Jul 14, 2007.

1. bustagriggs

bustagriggs New Member

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me. I just bought a 2006 and need some help deciding how to upgrade and stiffen the suspension to make the ride better. I am thinking the first upgrade will be the tires to better quality. What else should I do? Thanks

2. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Busta Griggs @ Jul 14 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]478707[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting question. If the cost of tires are included in your $1,000 budget, then you are going to be short funds for the real improvements. Next after the tires and still staying within the budget is something like a BT Tech chassis brace. Although you will not get the benefits of other bits you could be adding if your budget were higher. Things like TOM'S front (upper and lower) suspension suspension braces, TOM'S rear suspension brace and TRD Sportivo springs and shocks kit come to mind. But those are definitely going to bust your budget into little pieces.

3. bustagriggs

bustagriggs New Member

I was considering tires as a separate upgrade. Thanks for the tips.

4. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Busta Griggs @ Jul 14 2007, 07:04 PM) [snapback]478889[/snapback]</div>
    One additional consideration regarding the BT Tech plate - it conflicts with the TOM'S rear suspension brace. So, either the TOM'S rear suspension brace or the BT Tech plate, but not both. I personally am going with the TOM'S bits.

5. bustagriggs

bustagriggs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(apriusfan @ Jul 14 2007, 11:50 PM) [snapback]478928[/snapback]</div>
    Where can I find information about TOMS, price, etc..?

6. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Busta Griggs @ Jul 15 2007, 04:29 AM) [snapback]479035[/snapback]</div>
    Carson Toyota or Sigma Automotive will have info on price and delivery. Most info on the parts, their installation, effects, etc is here on PC by far.

A major step up from the stock suspension and down from the TRD Sportivo is the '07 Touring suspension. This is available occasionally from people who get the Touring model and ugrade to the TRD kit. Since it's a private sale of used parts, there are no set prices or availability. You could probably part together a Touring kit from a dealer but it's probably more than the TRD kit.

If your $1K budget is soft on top, the TRD kit will bring you by far the biggest improvement. The tires can be helped by inflating to 42/40 psi or maybe even higher. Putting all your money into the TRD kit will make a bigger difference than even spending $2K on a tire+wheel set.

If your $1K budget is hard and the stock tires are worn enough to toss, I'd say get the BT Tech plate and some 16" or 17" rims, then save up again for the TRD kit. There really isn't much else out there with the impact that kit has.

apriusfan, I thought Tom's suspension braces do not conflict with the BT Tech plate, and that Tom's floor brace does.

7. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bobdavisnpf @ Jul 15 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]479114[/snapback]</div>
    The floor brace conflicts with the OEM catalytic converter. The rear suspension brace (triangular/A shaped piece) mounts to the chassis center rails with 2 of the mounting points that are used by the BT Tech plate.

8. JaviNOS

JaviNOS Mod Freak

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Busta Griggs @ Jul 14 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]478707[/snapback]</div>

I just added a Topic on my TRD sportivo kit installation... you should go in for a look to see if you like the way it looks... I'll be happy to answer any question you have.