1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspension

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So, there's a particular road that I use that crosses some rail tracks. It's not well maintained (not sure but it might be a deserted railway track) and the road actually has tyre "grooves" from all the cars going over it. Anyway, I was using the Camry last night and took that road with the tracks and I've been reacquainted with what a set of independent suspension can do.

With the Prius at 50km/h, the car would shake as I go over the tracks. With the Camry, I hear the sound of the tyres going over the tracks but none of that vibration got transferred to the driver's seat. It was soo smooth.

Verdict? Toyota, please use a set of Macpherson independent struts for the rear suspension on the next redesigned Prius instead of the cheap torsion beam axle. I'd gladly trade some of the cargo space for better suspension.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

If you go over RR tracks, so that both rear wheels hit the track at the same time, you will not notice any difference between IRS and beam axle. In both cases both wheels are driven upward at the same time.

The difference you feel is in the greater compliance of the Camry springs (and there ARE spring struts in the rear of the Prius), coupled with the greater mass of the Camry. You amy also have higher tire pressure, as many recommend here, causing an increased bounce of the tire and greater transmission of the bump through the tire. IRS would buy you nothing in this case.

IRS is beneficial when each rear wheel is driven over unequal surfaces, such that each rear wheel can give or take without affecting the opposite wheel.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or the springs and shocks are tuned to be stiffer.

I have the recommended tyre pressure on the Prius, 35/33. On the Camry, recommended is 28/28 but every time we come out of a service, they pump it higher and we've noticed no difference in ride comfort. They're currently in the high 30s.

The road is straight when I hit the tracks so either the Camry's suspension is softer (which it is) or they've isolated it off the in a subframe so that the vibration isn't transferred into the cabin.

4. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

your going the wrong speed, any kid from a farm will tell you that there are 2 speeds to cross a cattle guard. 1MPH and 60MPH nothing in between. Rail tracks same as a cattle guard.

NOLA_Akita likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL Frank!! That's so true!

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I want Prius to have adjustable suspension in the next model. I'd trade in for it like tomorrow!

The Prius springs are too stiff, and must be due to the efficiency of the car which requires a low ground clearance. With an adjustable suspension Citroen style, we could have nice soft ride, and low efficient ground clearance on highway, but higher on bumpy roads.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm, you brought up a good point. The stiffer springs and shocks must also be because of the low ground clearance. I do realise it'll also depend on the length of the spring in addition to ride height. Hmm... still, fully independent please =)

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

actually the springs are quite compliant, then the dampner bottoms out and there is no more travel. Maybe some ureathane dampners are in order for the Prius. Some thing along the lines of the front dampner inside the spring on top of the shock that is progressive in compression.

10. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"99372)</div>
    Time for a little suspension info:
    First, the term Macpherson strut only refers to a front suspension that uses no upper suspension arms and uses the shock absorber (damper) to locate the upper portion of the suspension. It is what is used in the Prius. The term for what you are speaking of is Chapman strut. (yes named after Colin Chapman of Lotus fame.) Now, as I look at the rear suspension under my Prius what I see is a Chapman strut/trailing arm suspension with a connecting beam / anti sway bar linking the trailing arms. More of a semi-independent suspension setup. Very similar to most VW products until this year, and in fact similar to what was in my FWD Audi A4.

I think "Tideland Prius" last comment has it right. The Prius has really low ground clearance; lower than my Miata, MR2, or Audi. Cars with low ground clearance need to have limited suspension travel and that may contribute to the harsh ride. I'm assuming the low clearance improves aerodynamic efficiency

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ahh I see. Thanks narf. I just assumed that the whole system is called the MacPherson strut.

Yeah, you're right. It is a semi-independent setup like the Echo/EchoHB/new Corolla/Matrix FWD/Sienna.

Are you a suspension kinda of person? cause I'd like to know more about the different types such as the double wishbone, multilink trailing arms, (well leaf springs is pretty self explantory... or is it?), solid beam axle and so forth if I've missed any.

I also will take that your assumption is correct seeing as to how kids would slam their Civics. However, the G35 with the Aero Package can achieve a Cd of 0.26 without a super low ground clearance. Hmm, I think we need a flatter underbody :p

12. narf

narf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius\";p=\"100280)</div>
    Just someone who has spent a few years trying to tune suspensions on my own cars. I have a few random pockets of information here and there.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will agree that the Prius has a rock hard ride. On the very short list of complaints I have about my Prius, that one alone is near the top of the list.

If you want ride quality, go for a ride in a new or fairly new Lincoln Town Car with air suspension. Or a 2004 or newer Lincoln Navigator (Based on the Ford Expedition), which has four wheel independent suspension and four wheel air ride.

I went on a fishing expedition this weekend with a coworker from the office. It didn't go too well, nasty storms and we got rained out, so we were stuck playing poker and BS'ng in the cabin. I'm kinda glad I insisted on bringing along a lot of steaks, or we would have starved.

The drive included some fairly rough gravel roads and steep hills to the camp, so we went along in his 2004 Lincoln Navigator.

I still marvel how you can be purring along severely washboarded gravel roads, with potholes too, and the coffee in your cup will barely ripple. I also marvel that we split the fuel and my share still came to almost $60 for the trip.

But if you want to experience what amazing ride quality really is, the newer Lincoln Navigator is hard to beat.

Doesn't the Lexus ES car, based on the Camry/Avalon, also have adjustible ride quality? I thought the shocks could be dialed from Firm to Soft from the dash switch.

I put Rancho 9000 shocks on my 1984 Ford F-150, and with the shocks set at "1" the ride is nice and soft, very absorbant.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried the Town Car Signature as a rental car. Yes, that thing's huge and comfy but the suspension is waay to soft for my taste (and I like my comfy rides). I understand the meaning of luxury yacht heh.

The ES (and LX for that matter) does have AVS.

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I must be getting old. I'm really starting to appreciate a soft riding car with a very compliant suspension. The awful road quality around here might have something to do with it.

If Lincoln could package something like a Navigator with a tiny 4-5 cylinder turbodiesel motor, that might be the way to go. The Land Cruiser in Australia has a 6 cylinder turbodiesel, and with the automatic and full time 4WD it's rated 11 litres per 100km, combined. Thats 25 MPG Imperial gallon.

In contrast, the 4.7 litre V8 (Same as the Tundra motor here) is rated 16 litre per 100km, combined. Thats 17 MPG.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not really. I don't like harsh rides either. Even if that means better handling. Hence a car like the Scion tC is perfect. It's firm enough to provide confident handling and little nosedive when I did an emergency brake test but it's also soft enough that I don't complain going over rough road. I'd say it's pitched somewhere between the Camry and the TSX in terms of ride and handling.

17. afternoonnap

afternoonnap New Member

Me too! (Owned a Citroen GSA for a few years, and *loved* the suspension! It was a very aerodynamic, quirky car and the Prius reminds me a little of it.)

Toyota says the Prius has 4.9 inches of ground clearance, but Consumer Reports measured only 3.5 inches.

Is anyone aware of aftermarket load-levelling or adjustable air shocks for maintaining or temporarily increasing the ground clearance for a 2004-6 Prius?