1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Suspicious Oil

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gadgetdad, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :eek: I just checked my dipstick! 1/2 inch over the "full" line.

Funny, Dealer "changed" oil last week with my 3 1/2 quarts of Mobil 1 synthetic.....Funny too that the oil is a darker amber than I remember Mobil 1 being a week out from a change.

Where do I go to get the oil tested to see if they just kept my synthetic and overfilled with their crap oil?

advice please....

Lee

2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The only time that I took my Prius in for an oil change, they overfilled by 1/4 inch above full even though they noted that they used 3.5 qts. I believe the problem was that they did not allow the old oil to drain completely. I noticed that it takes at least 20 min for the drips to stop when I change it myself.

You may be able to submit a sample to Blackstone or another analysis lab and they can compare to VOA to tell you if they put your Mobil 1 in or if it ended up in one of the dealerships employee's car. I believe it will cost about $20 to have the sample done and they may also want a sample of VOA for comparison.

If it were me, I would just take it to a different dealer or do it myself if you can't trust them to do it correctly / honestly.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Save your $20, change your own oil next time. NO question then about what oil or how much was put in.

4. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You are right. Occasionally, I'd like someone who knew what they were doing to give a look over my car to see if something is going wrong. I guess the best person is going to be me with a little help from my PriusChat friends!

Lee:cool:

5. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There is no way 3.5 US quarts put the oil 1/2 inch over the full dot. Either somebody put the drain plug back on while the oil was still draining, or they put the Mobil 1 in the trunk of their car and used the dealer bulk oil

An oil analysis will uncover that. Espcially if there is high Na levels